Auger motor not turning. not jammed, call light fine...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

St_Earl

Minister of Fire
Sep 9, 2011
millinocket, maine
vacuum hose is clear as well.

it's a heatilator ps50 and it was working fine tonight.

i vacuumed out the auger channel, stuck a wire up to unjam any possible upper auger jam, i even loosened the mount screws on the motor and moved the auger itself up and down to free any jam.
the vacuum line is clear.

call light on the control box flashes blue. i tried the reset and no motion on the motor.
i even hooked up my spare motor and it also did not turn.

at this point i'm wondering if the vacuum switch might be bad. do they go bad?

oddly, when i removed it, i see a hole in the soft diaphragm looking part.
is that even part of the vacuum circuit? and it seems freakish if that hole just all of the sudden appeared. i dunno.

i'm stumped.
any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks

008_zps1fb7db08.jpg

Last edited:
well, now it's working.

Last edited:
well, it is something to do w/ the vacuum switch. when i remounted it, it wouldn't allow the motor to turn.
it only works when the switch is turned 90 degrees. ie pancake wise to the floor.

so my diagnosis is a bad vac switch. even though i don't know exactly what is happening inside.

When a vacuum is created in the vac switch, a circuit closes allowing juice to the auger motor. Sounds like something got broke inside and when it is "pancake" to the floor, it makes contact. You can bypass it if you need heat Just jump the wires together till you get a new one.(Disclaimer inserted here since this is a safety feature). kap

thanks, kap. :)

there is a special joy when i hear those pellets drop again on a cool night.

I know the feeling ! The same feeling I get with a well stocked supply of fuel. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.