Auger motor replacment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

home heater

Nov 13, 2013
michigan
So my auger motor stopped running, contacted a dealer, I got the motor home and motor is a little different in depth on motor than old one, I can fit it in, but BIG question is the old motor has two pins, one pin reads .55 amp, the other pin reads .41 amp. The new motor has two pins and has .48 amp.
This is a Whitfield WP5. The box has on it WP2,3,4,5,6,7 Part no 12046300.I am wondering if the difference on the amp draw is going to hurt my control board? Thanks

Slight variations in motor design over time are common with pellet stoves, as they may be improved by the original part manufacturer or sourced from an entirely different part manufacturer, as long as they still meet the same general specs. That small of a difference in amperage is within tolerances and shouldn't hurt anything. Be sure the shaft rotates the same direction and that the speed (RPM) is the same. If the replacement part says it is for a Whitfield, you'll probably be fine, since most Whitfield models used the same auger motor.

Thanks: I did find the same motor on line from merkle-korff industries ,which is what I purchased, and had the same part number, and same price, this was more than some, but it feels like is better made than the other one that failed.
I read somewhere that some motors are quieter than others, maybe better made? Thanks again for the reply.

Merkle-Korff does make good auger motors, but the differences between most manufacturers are subtle. Gleason-Avery is another common brand with a good reputation. When people say they are quieter, it's usually not a huge difference, but it is noticeable. Some people are replacing auger motors that are loud because they have defects or are worn, making it seem like the new auger motor is a bigger upgrade than it otherwise would be. The truth is: major design variations aren't really possible without getting outside of replacement spec (Amps/RPM/Casing.) Sometimes the difference is more in quality control - not letting poorly manufactured units get out the door.

Thanks all, I installed and what a difference, if I would have none the difference I would have changed a long time ago no more noise! For some reason the stove even burns the pellets better, the last always seemed to not feed right.
But we are enjoying the stove again!

Reactions: Overfired
Status
Not open for further replies.