Auger motor shaft broke and end stuck in auger! See pics. Can the auger be saved?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well, there is a first time for everything! Has anyone seen an auger motor shaft snap?

This 2 RPM motor was lying on the bottom inside a Magnum BabyCountrySide.

The broken auger motor shaft end was wedged solid in the base of the auger!

So we took it into the lab and drilled out the middle of the shaft from the bottom and then a smaller hole in from the side.

With many bangs and taps with an awl and hammer it first started to loosen and move sideways. Then all of a sudden after more drilling with the carbide tip drill press it was free and came out with a finger pull!

We used the grinding stone to smooth down the auger end, so the collar will slide back on.

Then we cleaned the stainless steel auger up with the wire wheel and sprayed it down with the Dry Moly Spray.

The new auger motor shaft slid right in.

Attachments

• AugerShaftBroke1.jpg
    AugerShaftBroke1.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 318
  • AugerShaftBroke2.jpg
    AugerShaftBroke2.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 300
  • AugerShaftBroke3.jpg
    AugerShaftBroke3.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 312
  • AugerShaftBroke4.jpg
    AugerShaftBroke4.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 281
Yup, do that crap all the time. I keep all of my old auger motor I pull so I usually have a spare shaft from about every gear box, so I just cut the shaft, remove the other end from the auger and replace the shaft in the gear box. So I'm guessing that the auger motor snapped the stop bolt on the baby Mag?

Love the C clamp anchor to the press and work bench. That's got to be one strong motor to snap that shaft. Nice job and pics.

Well, there is a first time for everything! Has anyone seen an auger motor shaft snap?
That sounds like metal fatigue, probably from misalignment.

Yup, do that crap all the time. I keep all of my old auger motor I pull so I usually have a spare shaft from about every gear box, so I just cut the shaft, remove the other end from the auger and replace the shaft in the gear box. So I'm guessing that the auger motor snapped the stop bolt on the baby Mag?

The previous auger motor already snapped the stop bolt. :) Where do you get your carbide drill bits?

Status
Not open for further replies.