auger motors...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burrman

Hearth Supporter
Feb 17, 2009
michigan
i have a Ashely heritage model 5600 and i was having problems with one of my auger motors getting weak ..so i replaced that one now a month later my other motor is getting weak..my questing is how often does the motor go bad ?...the stove was made in 2006...is this normal for them to go out after 3 years?

My opinion is no, You should get a few years plus from them. My 1994 Quad ran for almost 10 years before I had to change the auger motor. Maybe I was lucky???

jay

P.S.
Dry Dog food does burn. But, way to expensive to be worth it! Toss a hand full in the burn pot and see.

burrman said:
i have a Ashely heritage model 5600 and i was having problems with one of my auger motors getting weak ..so i replaced that one now a month later my other motor is getting weak..my questing is how often does the motor go bad ?...the stove was made in 2006...is this normal for them to go out after 3 years?

Some possibilities:
New motor may be bad. Not likely if the old one just went out.

The motor assembly mounting surfaces may be warped or have crud causing them to be uneven. When you torque the mounting screws down uneven mounting surfaces may slightly twist the motor and gear-box assembly.

Is there any misalignment between the motor and the auger or the auger and the tube? Does the motor and auger couple up freely?

Slider plate sliding freely?

Are the motor electrical wires and connections in good shape? If a wire or connection looks like its been hot its probably dropping the voltage down when the motor runs. Check and see if the voltage at the motor wire connections are reading full voltage when the motor is turning.

The auger motor on my Harmon is mounted on rubber. I had to replace it after 1 season. The second one has lasted 2 seasons now but it does seem to be getting noisier as time goes on.

i tighten down the bolts all the same im just going to buy a new motor then i will have 2 new auger motors be all rdy for next year.....

Status
Not open for further replies.