auger positioning? englander 25pdvc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ifixmy2

Sep 13, 2011
Ohio
When I cleaned & inspected stove, before putting it into service my lower auger was sliding thru bearing, because setscrews on collar was not
tightened down.
When I tightened it down I set auger so the tip is flush with the tube, at the burn pot. The back cover was touching the motor, which I had straightened out before reassemble.
I recently loosened setscrews & pushed auger shaft in tight against the bearing collar and tightened setscrews.
The auger now extends thru end of tube about 1/2 to 3/4" and into burn pot.
My concern now is that it is in the flames of the fire and I wonder if it could cause more heat transfer thru the shaft and to the gearbox.
This may be a question , that only Mike could answer, but I wanted to post it here so others could learn also.

I'm sure the previous owner thought he had serious problems, with the auger banging against back cover. And may not of figured out what was causing the noise/banging.

You might want to edit your thread title so it includes England 25PDVC that way it'll stick out so Mike sees it.

done , thanks for heads up!

the auger is supposed to extend into the pot a little bit usually no more than 1/2 inch at most. as for heat transfer up the auger t the motor testing proved this to be almost non-existant, the lower auger motor does run fairly hot and we've been assured by our suppliers its within their specs. as for the transfer potential, a motor running a stove with a fire in it did not test out more than a couple degrees higher than one running the same timed run with no flame. we expect the couple degrees difference was actually more due to higher ambient temps in the back of the stove from the exhaust and the unit as a whole being hotter than from direct transfer.

Thanks Mike, I've learned a lot from this site and from your input.
Deeply appreciated and can't compliment enough about you and Englander
stoves.
Happy Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.