Auger Problem--Castile Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear ya. there is power on one side of vac switch, but not on other when jumped. something is amiss
Which leads to HOW he is testing the voltage. Is he going to chassis ground for each measurement or going from input of vacuum switch to input of snap disk (would be zero).

Last edited:
hi all thanks for feedback. work in retail so had to work last evening and all day today. will tackle it again tomorrow and will start by completely tracing all wires and power to see if there is a ground issue, etc.

We are all on pins and needles. lol Good luck. Keep us posted. kap

Reactions: tjnamtiw
thank you all for your help. After looking at the power, etc. I determined that I did not have the power running correctly to the vacuum switch, etc. because I did not reconnect everything correctly. Stove is now running. Only thing I need to replace is the hopper switch which is a magnetized switch that stops the auger from running when the hopper lid opens. I bypassed it by having the power run directly to the vacuum switch. Moral of the story: Take digital photos before you undo the connections. Thank you all for your suggestions/help/support. Mike

Glad to hear you're back up and burning, Mike. Yours is at least the 3rd or 4th recent posting that ended up having Quad hopper switch issues - I remember one of PelletGirls issues on her MV was a hopper magnet switch problem.

I guess I see their value as a fail-safe, but I'm happy that my vintage Castile doesn't have one - one less thing to go wrong !

And yes, digital documentation prior to intervention can save those of us who have 'pre-senior moments' and forget where stuff went ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tjnamtiw
so now flame is large and lazy and burning to the right (towards the side where the exhaust blower is located. Suggestions??

Not only do folks need to write down what stove they have, they need to start writing down what year also for those dam hopper switches. kap

so now flame is large and lazy and burning to the right (towards the side where the exhaust blower is located. Suggestions??

Fuel delivery / quality issues, air leak / vacuum loss issues, and vent restriction / obstruction issues (or a combination of) could cause 'lazy flame'.

Pellets are good, ie not wet or congealed?

Is your door seal good, ie 'dollar bill test' for resistance all around it to pulling out a dollar bill?

Your fire pot clean - out 'trap door' is fully closed ?

All the fire pot air holes, including the 4 small ones at the bottom of the sloped section, are clean and open ?

Your vent and stove are clean of fly ash?

I assume pellets are still feeding OK and the combustion blower is running OK ?

How far open is your feed gate

Is the heat deflector installed right? Clear to the right?

OK--flame is good. With all of the messing around I did with the stove, I reset the feed rate and also had to reset the gasket connecting the stove to the chimney. Thanks again for all your help. Last thing I am going to do is to pull the blower motor and clean it before putting all of the trim back on. Am also going to do the dollar bill test on the door. I think the door gasket needs replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.