Auger problem-won't spin!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert in CT

Oct 2, 2016
Northeastern Connecticut
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and could really use some help. I have a 2015 enviro ef2i installed last year. Worked well all season, and while I don't care for the analog controls, it kept us warm all last winter.
Anyway- I went to fire it up today, but the pellets weren't dropping into the burn pot. I shoveled the bag of pellets out of the hopper thinking that the auger was maybe stuck somehow, but it didn't do any good. I can look into the bottom of the hopper and see the auger, it spins its normal 1/8 turn when I turn it on, but then doesn't spin anymore. I turned it on-off-on-off-on-off ect, ect so that it kept spinning every time it was turned on hoping that would dislodge whatever was jamming it up, but to no avail. Let me clarify- it will only spin when I first turn it on, but then it won't move unless I turn it off and then on again. Its really weird.
Does anyone have any experience with this, or any brilliant advice for me?
Thanks in advance,
Robert in Connecticut's Quiet Corner

Did you give it a good clean in the spring including the internal exhaust passages? If they are clogged, vacuum issues result and auger won't turn. Edit: Damper closed, open?
My pellet stove has safety switches that do not allow door or hopper to be open during operation. Stops the auger if either is open. Doesn't look like the Enviro has that...
Look up the auger tube with a mirror to ensure there is no jam there?
Is the stove on a surge protector? Been unplugged for the summer? Power interruptions...

http://www.enviro.com/images/manuals-brochures/owners-manuals/C-11219 Instruction EF2 Domestic Owner's Manual.pdf
page 29 walks you through the troubleshooting

Make sure you unplug when working in the cabinet!

Door must be closed and sealed the same for ash pan .
There must be a vacuum to operate the vacuum switch
Pos plugged exhaust or vacuum hose /nipple or a bad switch
seeing as you are new to the pellet stove world I think
you probably have a very dirty stove . It must be
disassembled and cleaned . If you feel it is above your
comfort level hire a teck to show you how .

Thanks everyone. Based on your suggestions, I removed the back of the stove and tried to clean in there, but no luck. For one thing, its a pain in the butt because it sits kiddie corner to the wall in a corner. I was humped over the stove while my poor wife held the vaccuum over my back. What a sight!
Whats the pos plug, and a vacuum switch?
Thanks

Last edited:
possibly plugged (with fly ash) exhaust. See page 9 of the manual linked above. Open two ports in the firebox to be able to vacuum behind the liner plates. I know I need to attach a tube to my shop vacuum to get into the internal exhaust passages in my stove. I also use a dryer vent brush to loosen fly ash but not sure if that will work on the ef2. The exhaust blower in the rear cabinet can be removed to clean blades and housing there but you will likely need replacement gasket. Careful not to bend fan blades... Always unplug before working in the cabinet. Should also lube the convection fan with 3 in 1 oil for electric motors.
Advanced technician manual ...
http://enviro.com/custom_content/docs/manuals/C-12145 Instruction PELLET Service Manual.pdf
right bottom photo on page 36 shows you the vacuum switch

To verify if its the auger motor possibly jammed or just bad, you could put direct power to the auger motor. Be careful working with 120 volts!!
It also could be a jammed auger, direct power can confirm. I too suspect this stove is in need of a cleaning (did it get one after last season?). The EF2 and 3 are pretty straight forward stoves, durable workhorses too. Is the combustion blower running? Did it get cleaned? If you don't have the manual, its available at enviro's website for troubleshooting. Good luck with her.

Great to hear Robert.

Status
Not open for further replies.