Auger question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trobb

Nov 24, 2009
N.Ky.
I'm getting ready to replace my auger...the one that was in it was a 6 rpm.
Is it possible to replace it with a lower rpm, and if so what would difference would it make?

Thanks for the help,
trobb

I do have an auger control dial on the stove.
I can run the auger anywhere from about 2 seconds to 6 seconds.

What kind of stove? If its an auto start will not probably start properly as it wont feed enough fuel to get a proper pile. Some stoves link the fuel feed and exhaust fan speed. (Quad Santa Fe,Countryside)

For example, if you replace your 6 RPM auger with a 3 RPM, then you would have to set your feedrate control to double the old setting to get the same pellet feed rate.

in some models the speed of the exhaust/combustion blower is tied into the cycle rate of the auger, so by going to a slower auger motor you may find the fuel doesn't keep up with the air. also, the stove will not heat to capacity if you go to a 3 rpm for a 6 , you will be cutting your feed in half.

stay with the spec'd motor

Status
Not open for further replies.