Auger rotation for an Envirofire EF2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OU812

Dec 21, 2008
California
Does anyone know if the rotation of the auger should be clockwise or counter clockwise as you are looking at the auger from the rear of the unit?

My Enviro Empress has an auger that turns clockwise. You should be able to tell by looking at the auger and seeing which way it would need to turn in order to move pellets up the chute.

Your EF-2 auger should rotate clockwise as fletch said. Were you having troubles or just curious?

Thanks for the replies! The auger keeps jamming on me. There is about a 1/4" gap between the bottom of the auger and the plate holding the auger in the unit and I am not sure if it is supposed to be this way. I also bought a new motor for this unit but it has a clockwise rotation as you are facing the motor so I am thinking that I will need to reverse it. I bought this unit used and it has been a living nightmare. I kept paying techs to come out and "fix" it but they would always come out for a hefty fee, recommend a part that they didn't have in stock and then the stove still wouldn't work. We finally figured out that someone had previously done some creative repairs to this stove and I am not always sure if the things on it are out together right or not. The good news is that the stove finally appears to be running well after we rewired the whole unit. Nothing matched the schematics at all. I am hoping once I figure out if the auger is right or not, the stove will be ready to go.

The auger shaft flighting does not sit clear down to the auger retainer plate but is fairly close. You may try to empty the hopper out and vacuum out all the rest of the fines/sawdust, then remove the auger motor from the shaft and try to rotate the shaft by hand and see if it moves freely or is binding. If it seems to be sticking or binding then I would remove the retaining plate and auger shaft assembly for closer inspection of the brass bushing and or excessive wear in the retaining plate. The top of the auger shaft also sits in a brass bushing. These bushings are self oiling/lubing and don't require anything put on them. The bottom bushing is usually the one that needs replaced as there is no pressure on the top bushing. If there is excessive wear on the retainer plate from the bushing "wallowing" around, it too should be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.