Auger Sabotage!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmapsrule

Oct 27, 2011
Southern Tier, NY
So the auger starts squealing and the fire goes out, I go digging in the hopper only to find Finn McMissile trying to sabotage the heat bill:
100_5754.jpg

I keep a 5 gallon pail of pellets next to the stove for my wife to keep the stove fed with during the day, apparently my 3 year old figured
he could hide his cars in it. Going to have to re-think the pail.

My stove is white porcelain enamel and looks like a dry eraser board to most 2 and 3 year olds. Orange marker looks really good on Antique White.

Frogwood said:
My stove is white porcelain enamel and looks like a dry eraser board to most 2 and 3 year olds. Orange marker looks really good on Antique White.
The orange markers are the least of your problems. You NEED to teach the kids that the stove is OFF LIMITS. If they are comfortable playing around it when it is cold, they WILL get burned. It could be a very painfull leson.

Waterbug said:
Frogwood said:
The orange markers are the least of your problems. You NEED to teach the kids that the stove is OFF LIMITS. If they are comfortable playing around it when it is cold, they WILL get burned. It could be a very painfull leson.

It is amazing how fast they can accomplish something when they want to , no matter what the rules,I have to say we have been lucky, both the kids are curoius about the stove but have been good about not going past the fireplace screen, Its the first rule that hasnt been an all out war to get them to obey. They still find ways to skirt the rule though as toys make flying trips over the screen to "visit" the stove!

unfortunately the grandson learned the hard way
would not listen, touched the "glass"
does not get close anymore
sometimes they just need to "learn"
all us older folks can relate to that
were not as many rules growing up

kmapsrule said:
So the auger starts squealing and the fire goes out, I go digging in the hopper only to find Finn McMissile trying to sabotage the heat bill:
100_5754.JPG

I keep a 5 gallon pail of pellets next to the stove for my wife to keep the stove fed with during the day, apparently my 3 year old figured
he could hide his cars in it. Going to have to re-think the pail.

HEY, how'd my car get in your stove

ironpony said:
unfortunately the grandson learned the hard way
would not listen, touched the "glass"
does not get close anymore
sometimes they just need to "learn"
all us older folks can relate to that
were not as many rules growing up

I agree, I can attest to having learned most of my lessons the hard way,
My parents got gray hairs and I got lots of cool scars and a mental database of practical knowledge to show for it.
I worry that I'm stunting my kids by overprotecting them too much, I don't want them to get hurt
but i don't want to diminish the joy/pain/experience of learning or the desire to explore and learn.

awesome picture and story! Love it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.