Auger shaft install (distance) & Auger motor temp 7000-500. Quadra Fire CB1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

louhazosc

Feb 11, 2022
Maine
Hi all,
Simple question.
QuadraFire Classic Bay 1200. Auger Motor 7000-500.
Been having auger motor issues and trouble shooting the low $$$.
It would intermittently shut off and then a horrible squeaking/squealing and now more of a grinding.
FYI Trouble shooting. All learned from posts on here.
- Vacuum switch new
- Took out auger motor and shaft. Hit it all over with a wire brush on my drill. Treated with graphite powder spray and straight powder in smaller parts. Put a new bushing on.
So as I said - all the <$25 fixes.

So I got the squealing to stop but now it is more of a grinding. It 100% is the motor. I can feel the vibration on it when I touch it and its turning.

So the question: Is it at all possible that I set the shaft in too far close/away and that's causing the grinding noise? I did my absolute very best to set it back exactly as I could see the allen screw markings on the flat side and its grinding.
When I get the new motor is there a sweet spot the shaft has to be set in distance wise?
I am not to break into the motor cause why...if its bad its bad.

Question 2: Does the motor need to be warm? I'm asking this as I'm typing sitting next to the stove and the noise is stopping. I did all the work in a 20 degree barn. 30 min. sounds fine now that its up to temp. huh?

I don't mind dropping $100 for a part after a decade of running perfect. Just really trying to understand this stove fully. Learned a lot from you guys every season and happy to learn a bit more.

Thanks!