auger stopped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shovelhead773

Nov 16, 2008
northern new hampshire
Help!! :cheese: we have a vermont castngs reliance pellet stove. It was running fine and then the auger stopped cleaned everythng out and it started again but when we added more pellets it stopped again and now does start at all. what we have done is cleaned the stove completely
blown the aguer shaft out with air in case of sawdust buildup, checked fuse, checked power to auger motor , checked voltage to auger motor, checked pusher block, checked thermocouple voltage and maybe a few more small things i have forgot. the fan works fine and the combustion fan with the auger control works fine. we know that this stove is almost impossible to get parts for but any suggestions would be great. thanks for any help.

shovelhead773 said:
Help!! :cheese: we have a vermont castngs reliance pellet stove. It was running fine and then the auger stopped cleaned everythng out and it started again but when we added more pellets it stopped again and now does start at all. what we have done is cleaned the stove completely
blown the aguer shaft out with air in case of sawdust buildup, checked fuse, checked power to auger motor , checked voltage to auger motor, checked pusher block, checked thermocouple voltage and maybe a few more small things i have forgot. the fan works fine and the combustion fan with the auger control works fine. we know that this stove is almost impossible to get parts for but any suggestions would be great. thanks for any help.

Use a jumper and plug in 110 v directly to the auger. It does not matter on what wire goes to what wire. If this works then it is not the auger. Next pull the auger and bench test it the same way. Might be a bad motor or a real good jam.

Eric

Thanks for the lightning response.. we will try that next. 1 more question the auger will not turn at all by hand, it seems to be frozen in place and as far as a jam goes the stove is completely cleaned out as i said before. would this lead to a bearing being seized? we did plug the auger wire into the combustion fan spot on the circuit board as the combustion fan was working fine. still nothing by your response the next thng would be what you said to do and by this i assume you are trying to bypass the circuit board? anyways that is what we will try next and thanks for you time on answering these questions we are pellet stove newbies. :)

shovelhead773 said:
Thanks for the lightning response.. we will try that next. 1 more question the auger will not turn at all by hand, it seems to be frozen in place and as far as a jam goes the stove is completely cleaned out as i said before. would this lead to a bearing being seized? we did plug the auger wire into the combustion fan spot on the circuit board as the combustion fan was working fine. still nothing by your response the next thng would be what you said to do and by this i assume you are trying to bypass the circuit board? anyways that is what we will try next and thanks for you time on answering these questions we are pellet stove newbies. :)

An auger will not turn by hand and do noty force it too. I would bet you need a new motor and it comes with the gear box. Contact your dealer before it gets to cold.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.