Auger time-out Fahrenheit Endurance F50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BeeFarm

Dec 23, 2014
Fowlerville MI
We installed the Fahrenheit Endurance F50 a few months ago. We had been using hardwood "premium" pellets. The last ton of pellets we got was softwood, pine, "ultra premium". Ever since we started using them, we can't keep the stove running for 24 hours, we keep getting "auger time-out" error and the stove shuts off. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to look for? I don't know if it is the change in pellets or just coincidence.

Have you started checking components stated in the manual?

AUGER TIME OUT - The control board sensed the auger had not been running for 2 consecutive minutes. This can be caused by leaving the hopper lid open longer than 2 minutes or the High Limit switch tripping thus shutting off motor. SOLUTION: Verify wires to motor are not broke or disconnected. Verify the lid was closed and lid switch is operating. Check fan limit switch by removing cover and ensure dial is not above 200 degrees.

Have you cleaned the internal smoke pathways? Clean-out port ... do you get a brush and vacuum hose up there to clear out fly ash. Leaf blower trick on the outside exhaust (search forum for particulars).
http://www.fahrenheittech.com/Fahrenheit_Manual.pdf

I’m having the same auger error. I have tried all the faq answers with no success:
I keep having a Auger timeout error on my endurance 50.

Details below from the faq and the steps I have taken:
>>The unit sensed the auger had not running for more than 2 consecutive minutes.
A: The unit has moved into “auger timeoutl within seconds of the auger running. I watched the pellets fall into the hopper, saw the “auger light” on the control panel lite and then moments later the “auger timeour error appeared

>>Verify the Lid is closed and the switch is operating properly.

A: the lid switch is bypassed.

>>Remove fan limit switch cover and ensure the dial is not above 200 degrees.
A: it appears to be correct. This happens while the unit is hot or cold

After lighting the unit seems to be “stabilizing” for a very long time.

Any assistants would be greatly appreciated. This is the primary heating unit for our home. its getting cold here in NE Ohio.

I’m having the same auger error. I have tried all the faq answers with no success:
I keep having a Auger timeout error on my endurance 50.

Details below from the faq and the steps I have taken:
>>The unit sensed the auger had not running for more than 2 consecutive minutes.
A: The unit has moved into “auger timeoutl within seconds of the auger running. I watched the pellets fall into the hopper, saw the “auger light” on the control panel lite and then moments later the “auger timeour error appeared

>>Verify the Lid is closed and the switch is operating properly.

A: the lid switch is bypassed.

>>Remove fan limit switch cover and ensure the dial is not above 200 degrees.
A: it appears to be correct. This happens while the unit is hot or cold

After lighting the unit seems to be “stabilizing” for a very long time.

Any assistants would be greatly appreciated. This is the primary heating unit for our home. its getting cold here in NE Ohio.

Hi Brent,

I'm currently experiencing the exact same "auger timeout" issue with my Fahrenheit Endurance50 unit...(a) lid switch is bypassed, (b) fan limit switch is NOT overheating (reaching the 200F mark), and (c) the auger is definitely operating normally, as the auger motor is new (just replaced it last year as my original auger motor failed). My unit is about 6 yrs old and is running v1.2 of the software (the latest Fahrenheit software). I keep the furnace clean/vacuumed and clean thoroughly at the end of every season, brushing out the exhaust pipe then using the leaf blower method to clear it out.

I've narrowed the issue down to TWO possible causes (it's likely the same in your case). I've worked with Fahrenheit support on this issue so the information I'm providing is correct and directly from their technician... (1) The fan limit switch is faulty and tripping the overheat sensor when it's actually not overheating at all (my blower is operating normally). In order to isolate this issue, you can remove the cover to your fan limit switch (located inside a small square panel on the UPPER LEFT of the furnace as you're facing it), then remove the blue/orange wires on the lower right of the fan switch, and cap them using a wire nut to connect the wires. This will DISABLE the overheat sensor. If the auger timeout vanishes, your fan limit switch is faulty and needs to be replaced (of you can just run it like that, as long as your blower is kicking on and operating you likely won't risk overheating the unit, but do this with caution!). If you STILL see an auger timeout, it's likely your control board that is bad. Order a new control board from Fahrenheit or a dealer nearby.

This "auger timeout" issue can take anywhere from a few minutes to 24-36 hrs to surface, it usually repeats itself more quickly if you reset the unit and reignite it soon after the auger timeout causes a shutdown. The timeout issue may not happen at all if you full power of your unit and power back on (to power cycle and reset the circuitry) before igniting it, so it's a workaround in this cold weather to get a full day's usage out of your furnace.

If your fan limit switch is at fault, you're probably fine just leaving those 2 wires capped and disabling the overheat sensor. Replacing the fan limit switch is not as easy as replacing the control board (per Fahrenheit's technician), the control board is an expensive part (over $400) while the fan switch is less expensive to replace.

As always, disconnect power to your Fahrenheit unit whenever you remove parts or mess with wiring or you risk shocking yourself (rather unpleasant).

Last edited: