Auger Tube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chase0803

So i bought a house and it had a pellet stove in it. I have a few questions.

1: The tube the auger sits in. Should it be sealed to the hopper? Mine was not(its taken apart for cleaning and gen. main.)
There is what you guys call fines (I think) in the housing (where the motors, controls are)

2: The auger that sits in that tube. Should it just lay in there against the bottom of the tube?
Its not "tight" It has play to the auger in the feed tube.

3: Why wont this thing burn on anything less than half feed rate?
If i put it on 5 it takes les than 20 minutes to die out.

Any feed back is appreciated

chase0803:

Please post which stove you have so we can better help you. "Fines" are the very small pieces/sawdust that are in with the pellets. There will be varying amounts of fines in each bag and many times depending on the brand. They can come from rough or too much handling of the pellets.

Let us know which stove you have. some stoves have a chamber where the fines collext and will need to be emptied on occassion.

chase0803,

When was the stove and its flue last cleaned? Need the answer to this as it is likely part of the reason for your question number 3.

The auger is only supported at one end on most pellet stoves so it rests on the floor or slightly off of the floor of the auger tube. There is also a small amount of play so it can ride up over small pieces of pellet without jamming.

The tubes the augers pass through are not sealed so one can have access for cleaning, now some stoves have closer tolerances than others and there is also a small amount of adjustment that can be used to prevent fines from going into the system from the feed tube end.

SmokeyTheBear said:
chase0803,
The tubes the augers pass through are not sealed so one can have access for cleaning, now some stoves have closer tolerances than others and there is also a small amount of adjustment that can be used to prevent fines from going into the system from the feed tube end.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but, I was wondering if you could elaborate how adjustments can be made to prevent fines from going into the system from the feed tube end? I know you're probably not an expert on Country Flame stoves but, like the original poster I also own one and have been having issues with my auger.

Oh, and on my Country Flame Harvester the only way to clean the feed tube is to remove the auger motor and slide the auger out from the back of the stove. Really sux. I've actually been considering cutting the tube open with an angle grinder and fabbing up a braket so that the auger is accessible from inside the hopper. If things don't improve I may do it. At this point I feel as though I have nothing to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.