1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Auger will not work

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Craigbert, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Craigbert

Craigbert New Member

I tried to light my Quest pellet insert stove about a week ago because we are still having some cold weather here in Ohio, and my auger stopped working. The auger indicator light, lights up like it is cycling but the motor is not turning. I replaced the pressure switch this past weekend and still nothing. Before I buy another motor is there anything else that would cause the auger motor to shut down. Also, I did a bench test on the motor buy hooking direct AC current to it and it did not work......Just wnat to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    If you put power on the motor and it doesn't work, it would seem that the motor is defective. You could examine the motor windings closely to see if a wire broke off where you can see, but there's not much else you can do with a dead motor, IMO.
  3. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    time for a new motor.

Eric
  4. Murph

Murph Proud Grandparent

Loc:
    Cape Cod
    Make sure the auger is not jammed as well when you power the motor.
  5. Craigbert

Craigbert New Member

I took the motor off the auger shaft and it spun freely by hand, the end plate has the newer nylatron bushing installed which would eliminate any friction on the auger shaft. I just wanted t make sure that there wasn't something else that would cause the auger motor to shut down since I read that if the pressure switch went bad it would cause the auger motor to stop, that is why I replaced the pressure switch first (cheaper of the two)
  6. bbone

bbone Member

Loc:
    Buchanan, New York
    Auger seems to be the thing that craps the bucket in the quest stove
    1 of the guys on here from Denmark, that's the only thing he has replaced
    on a 15 year old quest plus and mine is nearing the end of its life