auger wires castille quadrafire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jvm115

Jan 17, 2012
lakes, NH
Hello I seek to the forum for help. So my auger is dead, the funny thing is that is was going backwards before I decided to install a capicator jumoer to it. Upon my inspection of how the 2 wired meet, the white wire flat side was broke into where it fits therefore not grounding properly, would this cause the auger to go in reverse? I have replaced the vac switch last year along with a new auger motor. Trying to trouble shoot so i can cancell that $100 service call
Thanks for your help
Jill

Jill,
I really don't know much about pellet stoves but saw your original post in the DIY forum here and thought I'd give you bump.

I'm guessing since the auger is probably variable speed that may also be a DC motor? If so, reversed polarity would cause it to run backwards.

I saw some discussions on Castile auger operation on HVAC-Talk.com if you're interested.

Hi Jill. There are two wires going to the Auger (feed) motor. The white wire is ground (earth) and if this is not connected, the motor will not run at all. However, according to the wiring diagram for the Castile, the vacuum switch, Snap Disk 2 and the feed motor are all wired in series. Since you already replaced the vacuum switch it should still be good so you should start with Snap Disc 2 and make sure that it has not bee tripped (opened). You can verify this by pushing the little button in the middle of it to reset it and this will allow voltage to be applied to the auger motor.

The auger motor would only run in reverse if the capacitor was bad or not connected properly.

Jill,
You can bypass the vacuum switch to make sure either the switch, or vacuum to the switch is not a problem.
I saw a post elsewhere where an exhaust clogged by rodent nest resulted in no vacuum to the vacuum switch and so no auger operation.

Based on what Brad said though it seems more likely related to motor wiring or the snap disc.

I'm stepping out now to let the experts in.

Hopefully this post is not to old and I can get some help on the same topic. My auger motor quit turning at the end of last season, I took the stove apart and replaced the motor and ensure the auger was spinning freely. I left the cover off and the air intake detached but connected the exhaust air (it is an insert so really I just pushed it back into the wall) and the auger does not spin at all. The fuse for the motor is good, continuity across the motor is about ~ 14 ohms and it rings good all the way back to the plug on the board (checking across the white and yellow pins on the plug and I still get ~ 14 ohms. Not sure how to bypass the vacuum switch or what else might be the problem, nor has anything else been replaced. Any ideas would be great, thanks for your help.

Hey DCD,

Does your red "call for fire" light come on via the thermostat ? Does your combustion blower turn on ? Does the igniter heat up? Those all need to be working in the start-up sequence, as well as the vacuum circuit sensing adequate negative pressure, in order for the auger to feed. Here's a link to an ongoing Quad discussion with similar auger feed issues, as well as how to bypass your vacuum switch, assuming the other components mentioned above are working OK. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/quad-cb1200-feed-issue.148441/

Good luck, and post back on any findings.

Make sure the magnetic switch for the pellet hopper cover isn't bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.