Auger wont start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero611

Jan 22, 2012
Northern Virginia
I have a free standing Quadra Fire Contour Pellet stove...about 12-13 years old.

Background: last year when I moved the thermostat to start the stove the auger would not initiate (turn), but with a scratchy electrical sound in the background. So I tricked the stove by adding pellets manually, and after the stove got to temperature, the auger would turn and functioned normally.

This year, I tried the same thing, but now the auger doest turn at all. Ive cleaned the flue with a flue brush, cleaned the heat exchanger (top and behind the brick plates), replaced the thermocoupler, vacuum switch, snap disks, auger motor, control box. The only thing new from last year is the bearing on the convection blower is squealing. Im wondering if the convection motor is loosing rpms and not creating enough vacuum to start the auger motor? Maybe?

It has to be something simple, right in front of me...these arent that complex of a machine...

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
JOey

GOOD HEAVENS! You replaced all that stuff????? I venture to say you have a lot of good spare parts now!

What about the flexible hose going to the vacuum switch? And the nipple it fits on to at the top of the pellet chute? Are they both clear? Can you use a can of compressed air to blow through the tube toward the nipple and get good airflow? NEVER EVER blow toward the vacuum switch because you will kill it.

In 12 years, have you ever replaced the door gasket? Like you said, start simply and try ONE thing at a time learning from each step.

First, welcome to the forum.

Second the convection blower isn't the one that causes the "vacuum" in the stove it is the combustion blower, if that isn't turning there will be no pellet flow.

If the combustion blower is starting then you want to remove the vacuum hose from the vacuum switch and blow into it, it should be easy to do. If you can't blow through it remove it from the barb it attaches to and and clean it out, then using a paper clip of similar clean the hole in the barb. Reattach everything and retry the stove.

Report back the results.

Joey Oso said:
I have a free standing Quadra Fire Contour Pellet stove...about 12-13 years old.

Background: last year when I moved the thermostat to start the stove the auger would not initiate (turn), but with a scratchy electrical sound in the background. So I tricked the stove by adding pellets manually, and after the stove got to temperature, the auger would turn and functioned normally.

This year, I tried the same thing, but now the auger doest turn at all. Ive cleaned the flue with a flue brush, cleaned the heat exchanger (top and behind the brick plates), replaced the thermocoupler, vacuum switch, snap disks, auger motor, control box. The only thing new from last year is the bearing on the convection blower is squealing. Im wondering if the convection motor is loosing rpms and not creating enough vacuum to start the auger motor? Maybe?

It has to be something simple, right in front of me...these arent that complex of a machine...

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
JOey

The auger not working is caused by:
1. Bad Vacuum switch or plugged vacuum line.
2. Bad or disconnected Low Limit Snap Disc usually mounted near the exhaust blower.
3. Not enough vacuum becuse the exhaust blower is not running or not running fast enough.
4. Bad auger motor. Put a line cord on the auger terminals to see if it turns.

The vacuum switch is connected to the exhaust blower. If you put your hand over the exhaust pipe and feel it blowing good. Then that is not the problem. Check the two switches above.

This is a great forum, and thanks for the fast replies..and sorry I screwed up my first reply.

I have done the vauum test, and its all clear. Im planning on doing a continuity test on the snap discs tonight. Any thoughts? Im looking for a door gasket, but I cant seem to find one (OEM) for the Contour. Is there another that can be cross referenced?

Thanks again,
Joey

You might want to go looking for a manual reset high limit snap disc and reset that, although if the stove hasn't been running it isn't likely that'd be tripped.

Do you have a wiring diagram for that stove?

If so would you please post it.

I will post a schematic tomorrow. I was reading just now about vacuum seal. I currently dont have any pellets in the hopper...could this be a cause/effect/solution? Goodness :gulp:

Joey Oso said:
I will post a schematic tomorrow. I was reading just now about vacuum seal. I currently dont have any pellets in the hopper...could this be a cause/effect/solution? Goodness :gulp:

Well it does constitute an air leak in the form of a burn pot air bypass but shouldn't normally stop the vacuum switch from closing.

Joey Oso said:

On my stoves with no pellets in the hopper, you're lucky to get any vacuum at all!! There's no seal on the hopper lid. I don't know about the Contour. With 12 year old door seals too, that could be a problem. http://woodheatstoves.com/free/Quadrafire_Pellet_Stove_Parts.pdf shows a lot of parts but not a lot for the Contour. There's a few dealers on here that might help with that or give wood heat a call.

Smokey beat me to it about the schematic. On my stoves and the 1200, the vacuum switch is in series with the auger motor. Jumping the vacuum switch would rule that out quickly. Don't forget to unplug it before digging in there!!!!!!!!!!!!! You replaced the auger motor so that should be good.

Well, the stove ran perfectly with a hopper full of pellets :) Amazing. All in all though, I cant complain. I keep my stove very clean (my friends claim OCD) but it is now EXTRA VERY clean. And although I did purchase alot of new parts, its a nominal fee to pay for the knowledge and new heat Ive gained :) Plus I know have enough spare parts to take me another 10 years or so....whatta deal!

Thanks for all the help and insight to my stove and its problem...cheers!

I scanned the shchematic as a PDF file....I can only attach an img file?????? Ill try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.