auger won't turn on Lopi Leyden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumbles

Oct 26, 2008
Southern Maine
Took the stove out to put hardwood floors and plugged everything in just as before. Now when I turn the stove on, the auger light comes on but no pellets drop into the burn pot. Any ideas?

No replies yet? I'm sending this one back to the top. I'm interested to see what the solution is.

Took the stove out to put hardwood floors and plugged everything in just as before. Now when I turn the stove on, the auger light comes on but no pellets drop into the burn pot. Any ideas?
Could be there is no vacuum in the stove. Moving the stove around could have caused ash to fall in areas that are no blocking the vacuum hose. Could be that you have an auger jam in the auger tube. Could be the auger is not working at all. First thing is to clean that sucker out and clean it good. Keep coming back and you will get some great free advise. ;)

Reactions: mralias
Check you door gaskets-dollar bill test etc. Stove is around seven years old and may need some new gaskets. Not a hard project. Cost of moving things around. How did the floor project turn out? Our next years project now that we are stoved up.

Is the auger turning? (can you see/hear it turning?). If not - check for pinched vacuum hose or blocked hose on flow switch (Tube & barbed connector); or maybe the hose fell off.

If the auger is turning and the stove was empty it can a long time for those pellets to work their way back up the auger and then to the pot. Or, if auger turning and still no pellets after a long time check for a clog.

Last edited:
I took the vacuum hose off and blew through it. No obstruction. I suctioned all the pellets out of the hopper and it is not turning at all. The light for the auger is coming on, but that's all. I changed the door and lid gaskets recently and I've already pushed the gold ball under the lid down. I'm stumped to say the least. I have the place I purchased it coming out in 10 days. Any other ideas guys and gals? I

Does your combustion blower start? No blower, no vacuum, auger no turn.

Have you bypassed the vacuum switch? If this switch is bad the auger motor won't get any power so it can't turn.

Is there a manual reset high temperature snap disc on that stove if so have you reset or bypassed that switch. If this switch opens then power to the auger motor is stopped.

If the auger motor to auger set screw is loose the auger motor may turn but not the auger.

What MSmith66 mentioned above could be the issue....ash in the stove has dislodged and is blocking airflow through the stove. Hate to bring this up, but was the entire stove and entire exhaust system cleaned AFTER it was re-installed? Comb. blower removed & cleaned?

One way to confirm would be to jump the vacuum switch....if the auger starts running, you know the stove is clogged, or the switch is bad (which doesn't happen often).

The stove was cleaned prior to me removing it. Very thoroughly I might add. How do I jump the vacuum switch?

The stove was cleaned prior to me removing it. Very thoroughly I might add. How do I jump the vacuum switch?

UNPLUG THE STOVE, then remove the 2 leads that go the vac switch and connect them together....insulate the connection, of course. Then try running the stove.

everything else works. the stove turns on and the pellets light and then the pellets don't feed.

If the combustion blower comes on, and the pellets drop in order to get lit, they light up and then the feeding stops you have a bad, stuck, or dirty pof snap disc. Basically your stove did not get up to temperature as far as the stove's controller is concerned in the time alloted to provide evidence of fire. The stove enters shutdown.

Last edited:
"the stove turns on and the pellets light and then the pellets don't feed."

So the pellets are dropping and you get fire and then it shuts down? Oh, ok.

Well I finally had the stove fixed today. It was the little gold ball under the lid that had come lose preventing the auger from turning (on the underside). Hate this darn safety feature! Had it disconnected so this will never happen again. Thanks for all you help.

That is the hopper lid interlock switch. If lid doesn't push down on that brass ball (knob) and actuate the interlock, the auger does not turn. If it's too loose (up) it should actuate the interlock no problem. It's when it is screwed in too much that the hopper lid will not make contact to push it down. I would not disconnect any safety feature on the stove.

How did the stove turn on and you got fire if the auger wasn't turning dropping pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.