auger wont turn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pheasantman

Apr 26, 2006
i am having trouble with my auger not turning. i cleaned out everything that i can think. of any suggestions?

Well, could you possibly give us a little more information? Brand and model of stove, as well as age, especially. All pellet stoves dont operate the same.....Im sure given this info, a few folks here would be glad to help! :cheese:

I assume you are talking about a pellet stove. It would help to know what the make is. Generally speaking its one of 2 things, burned motor / gear box or the more likely its just jammed. First off bail out the hopper and get it clean all around the auger. Shut off the machine before digging too deep so it doesn't start turning when your finger is around the auger.
Dig, vacum or blow out all the pellets, corn or whatever and look for whats binding. Its usually at the front of the auger where it dissappears into the tunnel at the front of the machine. It doesn't take much, a small finishing nail will do it as will a small piece of shale. I have had both and surely got them from my own truck bed and garage floor. If it is jammed up you can back it off by turning the little plastic fan on the back of the auger behind the hopper. Be careful its geared to death and if you force it you can bust the gear box like I did. On my Countryside you can muckle the auger from the front end with a pair of vise grips. By wiggle and twisting you can often remove or dislodge the item jammed. It can take a lot of force in my experience. Once free my auger comes straight out. To put it back in you might have to dig or blow out the far end if debris falls into the slot when you removed it. If its your motor you can get them from grainger or your dealer and just bolt it on yourself . It can be tight in there but its not technical. You might look into the websites at the bottom of my post for more or better information.

If its a quad, it could be bad molex connectors, or a snap disk, or if its a jammed quad, its jammed where the auger screw meets the motor, not in the tube it self, or you have a pressure leak. If its a whitfieild/lennox, the photo eye might be dirty. you might have a vacume leak, or the screw auger is jammed aginst the tube. Please give us the make and model.

and if its a Harman....
1. is the vac line split, pinched, or pulled out?
2. is the pressure switch messed up? (rare)
3. is the door not closed tightly?
4. are all door gaskets still good and in place?
5. does the gearmotor try and turn and stop? (something jammed in there)
6. is your exhaust pipe clogged?
7. is your intake pipe pinched or clogged
8. is your intake damper jammed?

take off the gearmotor and power it directly to 120, via a pigtail...does it turn well, not make excessive noise, or stutter? if it works fine, try and turn the auger shaft by hand. Can you? if the motor runs, it isnt that, and if the auger shaft turns, it isnt that. Look for clogs, etc.

It looks like the Quad's auger is tied to the vac switch as well, at least for my model (1200i).

MountainStoveGuy said:
see why we would like the make and model?

The Auto Parts Man's Prayer:

"Dear Lord just once before I die please let someone walk through the door that can tell me the make, model and year."

Rave review on an old thread...

I just got a report on this old thread about an earlier message in it, and thought I should give Driz the news that his advice is still good and appreciated. I'm so used to looking for problems on thread reports that it's nice to have a compliment once in awhile! (But please, if you do have praises, post them as a reply yourself - the "report" function is mostly for letting us know about problem posts...)

4grandpa just reported a post written by Driz in:
Hearth.com Wood Stove and Pellet Stove Forums....and much more!

The reason(s) for the report:
Other

Additional notes from 4grandpa:
Great advice,
Thanks for this advice, I was able to remove the auger cover plate (6 -
5/16" head bolt) below the pellets on my Avolon Astoria and it was jammed
with saw dust causing the motor to stop. After cleaning I pushed the manual
feed button and it took off. Great advice

The post can be found at:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/18868/

Gooserider

Status