Augusta ME area--pellet source? W/delivery?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

want2bwarmer

Jun 14, 2008
central maine
Ok you guys have me freaking out. Normally I don't do my pre-buy till later in the summer, but with all the hub-bub I went into my usual supplier last week to order early. But I am completely annoyed that the sales guy at Rocky's blew me off last week when I went in to pre-buy--he told me basically "not to worry my pretty little head" about the pellet situation, and basically no need to buy now. grrrr. Now today I find out from my neighbor that they are so swamped with stove orders and new installs that they won't be delivering pellets AT ALL this year. We can buy them, but have to pick up and schlep our own. Forget that. I did see from another thread that someone bought from Springbrook Fuel (Waterville) for a good price, but that would be about 20 miles away and not sure if they will deliver here?

So, help me out here...where does a person in the Augusta, ME area go for ~5 tons of wood pellets? Hopefully for home delivery. Am even considering buld from MESYS--but not sure what that entails? Like how you store them, if you rent or purchase a bulk container, etc. Can they be stored in the garage? Help!

Second set of questions, if I may? Am looking for a second pellet stove in attempt to reduce my current annual 500 gallon oil consumption down to merely enough for hot water use, and preventing the pipes from freezing--and and dismayed to find that Rocky's is currently booked into November for installations. Was planning to buy a second Harman Accentra for the family room (I currently have the Accentra insert in the living room)--but now am thinking of looking at other retailers and considering the Quadra-Fire Castile (I like the way it looks vs. the Accentra). Any recommendations for other pellet stove dealers nearby? Good experiences? And thoughts on the Castile vs.. the Accentra? Which stove is quieter? My Accentra insert can be pretty noisy when the blower is turned up. And, any ideas if the top-feeding concept w/ the Castile vs. bottom-feeding w/ the Accentra makes a difference in how often you need to clean out the burn pot? I hate cleaning the stove--what can I say, I want it all. LOL.

Thanks!

Well, I have a partial answer to my own questions.

As for pellets w/ delivery in Central Maine--I called around this morning and found Knights Farm Supply in Augusta. They have both Corinth for 229/ton or Energex for 245/ton. And only charged me 10 dollars for delivery since I am within city limits. Normally 20 dollar delivery charge. I opted for the Energex, and ordered 6 tons today. Promised delivery in July. Normally I have used Cubex, but wasn't happy with them this year as compared to last year. Far more ash this year and less heat it seemed? Hope the Energex are ok.

Talked to the Quadra-Fire dealer. They told me the Castile requires daily cleaning. No thanks. The next Quadra-Fire model up is larger and more expensive, probably more comparable to the Accentra? Price is the same anyway. I just decided to stick with a buying second Accentra, since the Harman Accentra insert has treated us so well. The bad news---the Accentra is on back-order until December! Not sure if that's really the back-order date, or the earliest possible installation date they have available. Either way I can't have it installed until December 26th.

Any other options out there I haven't considered, for the 2nd pellet stove? I only need a small stove, but do want something quiet, automated (no manual lighting, etc), and able to go at least 1-2 weeks between shut down & cleanings. My favorite things about the Accentras. Minus the noise--I do find my Accentra insert noisy. I liked the look of the Castile, but no way am I going to shut down & clean daily. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.