Austerflam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliot

Jan 12, 2007
Here is a question? A number of years ago a purchased an Austerflam (I think I spelled that correctly) pellet stove. I think it was called the "integra", everyone told me that this was supposed to be the best pellet stove out there? Since then I have replaced with a gas insert. Yes, I got lazy lugging the bags of pellets up from the basement. However, I still have the stove in the basement and figured I would also use it in a home in the future. I believe I paid around $3,500 for the thing back in the mid-90s. It looks real nice and did heat pretty well. Is this brand good? Should I hang on to her (the stove, not the wife) or trade for a different brand? What is the comparison on efficiency mid-90s vs. now? And finally, can it be converted to run on corn as well as pellets.

Thanks everyone.

Elliot

From what I've seen they had some of the most radical designs out there.... some pretty cool stuff.. But the support here in the US was lacking and they kinda went out of sight.. At least in the states, That's just what I've heard...
And that's all I really know about the austroflam.....

JUST repaired one (Austroflamm Integra) last week for a single mom.

Nice build quality, good looks, this was the 9th year she'd burned the stove and had no complaints.

By the way, the problem came when her son removed the side panels to vacuum the stove out. When putting it back together he let the connector from the main circuit board to the user control board rest against the exhaust manifold. It melted and shorted out in a few days, ruining the main circuit board. The refab board was about $250, so it was a costly mistake.

Other thing I noticed was BOY that puppy is quiet while its running.

Elliot said:
Here is a question? A number of years ago a purchased an Austerflam (I think I spelled that correctly) pellet stove. I think it was called the "integra", everyone told me that this was supposed to be the best pellet stove out there? Since then I have replaced with a gas insert. Yes, I got lazy lugging the bags of pellets up from the basement. However, I still have the stove in the basement and figured I would also use it in a home in the future. I believe I paid around $3,500 for the thing back in the mid-90s. It looks real nice and did heat pretty well. Is this brand good? Should I hang on to her (the stove, not the wife) or trade for a different brand? What is the comparison on efficiency mid-90s vs. now? And finally, can it be converted to run on corn as well as pellets.

Thanks everyone.

Elliot

its a great stove they are coming back to usa with new design and they are very pricey but good stoves
the unit alone nowadays is about 3500 holds 100+ pounds of pellets and has a bunch of new gadgets
but if you want to unload the old one i know someone who buys them
but if i was you i would keep it

There's a dealer in Amherst, NH who looks like they are setting up to becomes a Austroflamm dealer. I'm looking to buy a pellet stove (insert) and I have my eye on the Austroflamm but I want to see one up close.

I know a guy who has had one of those for over 10 years . It is all he uses to heat his very large house here in N NY. It is built like a tank and holds more pellets than anything I have seen. Solid, simple, reliable. Keep it, unless you want all the auto ignition bells and whistles its every bit as good as the new ones. Parts can be a bit hard to find but I am sure like the others it uses parts off the shelf you can get elsewhere when it comes to motors and switches. Besides if they are making a comeback then parts will be easy to find again anyways.

Good stoves and parts are available both through the importer and through some second parties. Parts could be expensive though - seems like if you can maintain it then it may need very few anyway. make certain you save (or get) the manual, etc. so you can use it in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.