Australian Wood Heater - can only burn Hardwood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
Not sure if this is the case in the USA but i have recently put a new wood heater into my downstairs living area. Its only a small one - just enough for the living area. When i was reading the manual it says that you can only burn Hardwood. There is also a plate on the front saying only burn Hardwood.

I think the reason behind this is due to the air control it only shuts the air off by 50% i.e. even with the air fully closed there is still 1.5" gap for the air to come into the stove. This will mean when you burn softwood the stove will get too hot even when you have the air fully closed (as I learnt when it started to Glow...) I contacted the makers (Masport) and discussed this with them and its all down to emissions you cant close the air off too much as it can cause smouldering and therefore have a lower efficiency and increase the emissions. I told them I only burn dry seasoned wood but couldn't achieve long burn times. Unfortunately the stove is set up for people who dont have dry seasoned wood.

After reading a few posts on here ==c i have modified the air control to give me much more flexibility and it now allows me to burn softwood, have good seconderies and have longer burn times with the same heat output. Thanks to those in the know on here i now have the stove i want and need. Masport r1500.jpg
CAM00069.jpg

I suspect you are completely correct in your theory and modification. People in the western part of the USA don't have access to much hardwood so I hope that never happens to us.

Having the air control open at 50% seems odd, and wasteful.

Status
Not open for further replies.