Austroflamm keeps shutting down,help! Happy New Year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bke7

Jan 1, 2015
Northwest CT
Why is it that all heating appliances give you trouble on the coldest days of the year?
Stove is completely cleaned , flue included, air sensor cleaned,
While running the combustion fan appears to pulse with varying power.
The stove shuts itself off when running at full power, usually coldest part of night.
If I shut it down and let it cool completely it will run then after hours will go through this again
A friend has said sounds like a limit switch , has suggested a jumper on the high limit.
Any suggestions are appreciated,

At least one explanation might be a little known problem with AF stoves called 'logic lock' where the circuit board behaves oddly. It's an easy fix - just unplug the stove for fifteen seconds or so.

Fan speed hunting might be the hall sensor or motor capacitor, but I'm not an electronics whiz, so perhaps more knowledgeable members can comment.

You could definitely jump the lower limit switch (also know as POF, or 'proof of fire') and see if that helps. If the sensor isn't working, the logic board will think you've run out of fuel and time out as you've described. This would be the fastest and easiest thing to check, with minimal risk. Give it a shot, and let us know how it works out.

While running the combustion fan appears to pulse with varying power.
The stove shuts itself off when running at full power,
Your stove should not for be maxxed out at full power for more than an hour at most, then throttle it back to about 3/4's
It could be your limit switch and you can jump the wires but don't do this for an extended period of time as you don't want to bypass a safety feature.

PS I am assuming it is an older version we are taking about (pre-2006)

I am shutting it down now, will try the unplug to undo the logic lock and plan on jumping the low limit switch
Will keep you up to date on my progress
Any other suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated

Also how long is too long to have the low limit switched jumped out ,
Restarting the stove now and will see how it goes
Unplugged the unit for about 5 min, currently have the low limit switched jumped out
Fired up fine , now wait and see

The stove appears to be running correctly . Will pick up a replacement limit switch today.
Thanks for the advise about logic lock and the unplugging to reset
This is why forums are the best resource, like minded people helping each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.