Auto Thermostat for Fan, on/off temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
I have a new Quadrafire 4100I insert that has (standard) a variable speed fan with a "manual" and "automatic' position.

What I have found so far is the automatic on/off temperatures are very far apart an I am not even sure it will turn on automatically.

With a magnetic thermometer on the front of the insert, just above the door, I am yet to get the fan to run on automatically. That is I have fired up the stove and by the time the magnetic (attached) thermometer reached 400+ degrees and the fan did not turn on, I always put in on manually. I can later change to the automatic position and the fan will run until the unit cools off. Another surprise, the fan continues to run until the maganetic thermometer drops to the low range stop, and then some. I'd say the fan doesn't turn off until the face of the insert drops below 100 degrees.

Does this seem "about" right? For my mind, I'd think the automatic would be set to turn on at 250 degree and off at 150 degrees.

Perhaps the fan temperature sensor is deeply inside the insert (I"ll look at owner's manual), outside the firebrick, so that the stove has to get hot all the way through before the fan turns on, and it holds heat deep inside for a long time holding the fan on longer.

I was surprised to note that when I put in a couple regular size splits (not more than 15% of the capacity of the fire box) at midnight the stove keeps the room it is in above 62 degrees for more than 8 hours, and that's with the outside temps near 20 degrees at the low. Further, I've noted that the face/glass of the insert is hot to the touch (not enough to burn the skin). In fact the insert left to sit is still slightly warm ar 12 noon, 12 hours later, and has some hot coals sill glowing under the ashes from the night before.

Curious about this myself.

I have been burning for the first week now and we have noticed the same thing .... it doesn't seem like the fan comes on in Auto mode or we are not patient enough to wait for it. We do the same thing with switching to manual then back to auto.

The snapdisc that reads the firebox temp is not toughing the stove. Pull the blower and you will find it, see if you can bend it forward so that it touches and it should work fine. I have a hampton and went thru the same thing...now that it is touching it works great!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.