Automag Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwood

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2009
Western VA
Did anyone who purchased an Automag from BioHeat or elsewhere for their overheat zone have to purchase a rectifier to convert the 24 volt power from AC to DC for that valve. If so what did you get for your rectifier? Is a rectifier something you plug into your relay/control box? I'm not sure if I need one because someone has handwritten "AC" after the model number on the box, but the installation sheet in the box shows a rectifier is needed between the 24 volt transformer and the Automag zone valve. The model number is STYLE AA 1-16/AC. I've emailed Automag to see if this might be the case. The installation diagram also says to put a fuse between the rectifier and 24v transformer, but doesn't specify the fuse size. Frustrating. If you've put one in already I'd appreciate if you could clue me in on what you did. Thanks.

Mike

I have an 1" Automag from BioHeat, provided when I purchased my Tarm Innova 30. The Automag came with a 2-1/2 Amp fuse wired in the pigtail. The unit I have is DC, so you must run a rectifier. I had a high efficiency 24V DC power supply - so I used that. The Automag & power supply only pull 11 Watts, so I'm not sure why they have a 2.5 Amp fuse.

You can pick up a power rectifier from Radioshack, or consturct your own diode bridge to convert the 24V AC from your transformer to 24 DC.

My 3-year old Automag is 24vdc. I went to an electronic surplus store and bought a 24vdc, 500ma, wall transformer like that used for all kinds of small electric appliances. These come in all sorts of voltages and power configurations. Mine cost $5. Cut the barrel plug off, and be sure to connect + from transformer to + of the Automag coil; - to -.

Heard back from from Automag today. They said the boxes marked AC are prewired with the rectifier and fuse. Good news. Thanks Jim and wood-engineer for your response.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.