Automag Vs. Honeywell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Pirate

Jun 25, 2008
Orange County, NY
Wondering what the difference is between a automag normally open zone valve and a honeywell normally open zone valve.
Is there a difference? Is one better than the other?

I don't know anything about the Honeywell, but I think another alternative to the Automag is the Taco EBV normally open. These have a capacitor that charges when the power is on. When the power is cut the capacitor charge is used to power the motor to return the valve to the normal (open) position. Any valve that is going to work for the overheat loop when the power goes out will need to have some type of energy storage like a capacitor or spring.

free75degrees said:
I don't know anything about the Honeywell, but I think another alternative to the Automag is the Taco EBV normally open. These have a capacitor that charges when the power is on. When the power is cut the capacitor charge is used to power the motor to return the valve to the normal (open) position. Any valve that is going to work for the overheat loop when the power goes out will need to have some type of energy storage like a capacitor or spring.

I didnt realize the valve would need power storage. I thought any normally open zone valve would do. When the power goes out the zone valve returns to its normal position which would be open in this case.

Wood Pirate said:
free75degrees said:

I didnt realize the valve would need power storage. I thought any normally open zone valve would do. When the power goes out the zone valve returns to its normal position which would be open in this case.

Well, it does not need to be electrical storage but I think it needs to store energy in some way so that it can return to its normal position. Moving the valve to its normal position when the power is out requires some amount of energy. I think some valves use springs or some other type of mechanical energy storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.