Automatic Bleeder Valve Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodburn

Oct 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
I have a gas boiler for my hot water baseboard heat. I had the two automatic bleeders replaced today. On the box of the bleeders it said that after filling the system with water, to open the bleeders slowly so air scale and dirt would not rush up into it. I noticed the plumber opened them very quickly and all the air quickly "pissed out". I asked him about what it said on the box and he said "Oh no, you don't have to worry about that" I figured he knows what he's doing, but now I'm worried they may be clogged and won't work properly if they need to purge air from the system. Is this something to worry about, or is it not a big deal? Thanks.

Not a plumber, or expert, but my first guess is that it is a relatively low likelyhood problem - which the manufacturer mentions to cover their posteriors... Probably also less of an issue on a system that has been working for a while and had a chance to already flush out any crud that may have been put into it from construction...

Gooserider

For a definitive answer (or two) go to The Wall at http://www.heatinghelp.com

But offhand, I'm with Gooserider--as a practical matter, unless you have an exceptionally dirty/scaly system, it's unlikely to be a problem.

Thanks for the replies. That's my thinking as well. I just don't understand why he couldn't take the extra five seconds to open each one slowly. If that is the correct, safest, best way to do it, then why not do it? Those of us who spend time here on Hearth.com can certainly appreciate putting a little extra time in to make sure you do something right. Do it once, do it RIGHT!

One thing I'll throw in is that those Taco Hy-vents are so slow that I doubt anybody would ever really have a problem........

Status
Not open for further replies.