automatic blower worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shanenest

Oct 1, 2008
MA
We have a Lennox C210 insert that has been great but the blower doesn't have an auto setting so its either on or off, by morning the stove has cooled but the blower is still going. A new blower with a auto setting is about $300. Do you guys think thats worth it? I would say the stove burns hot for about 5-6 hours overnight. Thanks.

Is there a way you can splice a thermo disk into the switch wiring & attach it to the stove body? I think I'd try that before plunking down enough money to buy two cords of wood on a new blower...

Reactions: Beer Belly
Two Options:

Add a thermodisk kit like DAKSY mentioned

img

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/4855/559922/Stove-Blower-Controls/Stove-Blower-Sensor-Kit.html

Or put on an external blower control (easiest solution)

img

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/4855/16447/Stove-Blower-Controls/Stove-Blower-Control.html

Simple ,plug it into a timer.

Blower should be OFF as the stove cools down so your stove can maintain a clean burn right to the end.

I put a thermal disc on our stove. Only a couple bucks and works great. Had to relocate it from the bottom of the stove (where the blower is) to the side because when the ashes in the pan built up it would insulate against the heat and would turn off too soon or not come on at all.

I ended up putting a bypass switch on mine for the few times where I wanted to get heat out faster to the room as well as running the fan at times with lots of coals in the shoulder season where it would previously turn off too early. I normally run it in the stock AUTO mode though. The stock LOPI fan control doesn't allow you to manually turn the fan on at anytime.

Experimenting with a new stove, came with auto blower. In your experiences, is the blower any good for getting air circulating from a basement to the main floor or is it more for throwing the heat off the stove into the room it's in?

Trying to experiment with the blower one day and a pedestal fan the next but haven't come up with any answers yet o_O

Generally speaking, blowers only move the heat away from the unit only so far within the room, then as it cools, it drops to the floor & should get drawn back to the blower location. Ceiling, doorway, box & especially whole-house fans seem to be better suited for moving air from one room to another...YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.