1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Automatic bulk pellet loading for pellet stoves?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Andrew Robinson, May 14, 2014.

1. Andrew Robinson

Andrew Robinson New Member

Hello again,

Does anyone know of a system for loading wood pellets from a bulk storage into a wood pellet stove hopper?

This is a new installation - back problems prevent us from filling the stove with 40lb or even 20lb bags.

Some variation of a vacuum or auger system used for pellet boilers?

Andrew

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bob bare

bob bare Minister of Fire

Loc:
    park county montana
  3. chken

chken Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    The Biowin has a vacuum system that they use with their Firewin pellet boiler/stove. I'm not sure if it's adaptable to 3rd-party stoves, but it might.
  4. TimfromMA

TimfromMA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
  5. ScotL

ScotL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    My uncle's Kedel has a bulk hopper outside that is auger fed into the boiler. I've seen a sales flyer for one that works with a sack. It moves around on the bottom to get the whole thing empty. There's quite a few options for bulk pellet transfer.
  6. Andrew Robinson

Andrew Robinson New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here are a couple other ones I found interesting:

A wall mounted hopper that can be operated with a shop-vac - intended for corn stoves, but a similar system would probably work for pellets.
    http://www.cornvac.com/index.html

And - from Sweden - a bulk pellet system that uses your central vacuum as a suction source:
    http://www.pellvac.com/e/start-e.php

We are probably going to use a system like the Swedish one. Apparently there is even an optional 3-way valve that allows you to use the central vac to clean out the stove!

A