1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Resolved Automatic quoting on reply

Post in 'New Forum Hints and your Questions & Suggestions!' started by LLigetfa, Mar 17, 2012.

1. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    This is going to get old fast, seeing almost every post quoted. Unless it is unclear who the reply is intended for or you wish to highlight (quote) a portion, it will just make for longer threads.

Sure, people can delete the quote from the edit window but will they?

Also, it looks like nested quotes are gone. That's a bit of a two-edged sword... handy for keeping the train of thought and not taking things out of context. The downside of the nested quotes was that people were messing up the closing tags, or that hall-of-mirrors thing when the nesting got too deep.

Is it possible to set it up with a separate quote option so reply does not auto-quote?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Ya just type your reply in the box and hit the "Post Reply" button below it.
  3. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Annoying huh?

Ja. well... thanks for stating the obvious. The problem with that is it's down at the bottom of the thread and people are going to hit the reply next to the post before they even reach the bottom.
  4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Maybe in the short run they will - but if we see it happening in the long run, we can make a suggestion to the forum software company.
    Excess quoting is a problem with most all forum software - and I think it is mostly a user problem...although I think better design might just help a bit.
  5. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Maybe something as simple as renaming the "Reply" to "Quote" would cut down on the accidental reply with quote.
  6. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    You might be right.
    When I hover over the reply button, I get "reply with quote" text....
  7. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Thanks Craig, that saved me from asking another stupid questiono_O The more I use this format, the better I like it. Good job!
  8. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Is this resolved? Can't say it's great.
  9. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    You have the choice. Use the "Reply" button in the lower right of any post already in the thread...that's just like our old "Quote" option. Or, if you don't want to quote anybody, just go straight into the message box at the bottom of the page, type in your thoughts, then hit "Post Reply" in the lower right...your post will go up without quoting anyone. I don't see a problem. The choice is yours. Rick
  10. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I dunno... resolved, IMHO would have been if the "Reply" wording was replaced with "Quote" or "Reply with quote".
  11. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The one to change would be the button at the bottom changed to "Submit" since it is submitting a post. The other one makes sense because you are replying to a particular post and the quote tells the reader what you are replying to. Whereas adding a post ain't replying to nothin.
  12. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    So, did you just reply to nothin? Subtle insult?
  13. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Speaking to the subject. So no, I wasn't replying to a particular post. Return of volley.
  14. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Oh, Bart, come clean. Tell him about the inordinate amount of time we Mods spend sitting around thinking up subtle ways to insult, belittle, and infuriate the members here. :rolleyes:
  15. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Thanks.