Resolved Automatic quoting on reply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
This is going to get old fast, seeing almost every post quoted. Unless it is unclear who the reply is intended for or you wish to highlight (quote) a portion, it will just make for longer threads.

Sure, people can delete the quote from the edit window but will they?

Also, it looks like nested quotes are gone. That's a bit of a two-edged sword... handy for keeping the train of thought and not taking things out of context. The downside of the nested quotes was that people were messing up the closing tags, or that hall-of-mirrors thing when the nesting got too deep.

Is it possible to set it up with a separate quote option so reply does not auto-quote?

Ya just type your reply in the box and hit the "Post Reply" button below it.

Ya just type your reply in the box and hit the "Post Reply" button below it.
Annoying huh?

Ja. well... thanks for stating the obvious. The problem with that is it's down at the bottom of the thread and people are going to hit the reply next to the post before they even reach the bottom.

Maybe in the short run they will - but if we see it happening in the long run, we can make a suggestion to the forum software company.
Excess quoting is a problem with most all forum software - and I think it is mostly a user problem...although I think better design might just help a bit.

Maybe something as simple as renaming the "Reply" to "Quote" would cut down on the accidental reply with quote.

You might be right.
When I hover over the reply button, I get "reply with quote" text....

Thanks Craig, that saved me from asking another stupid questiono_O The more I use this format, the better I like it. Good job!

You have the choice. Use the "Reply" button in the lower right of any post already in the thread...that's just like our old "Quote" option. Or, if you don't want to quote anybody, just go straight into the message box at the bottom of the page, type in your thoughts, then hit "Post Reply" in the lower right...your post will go up without quoting anyone. I don't see a problem. The choice is yours. Rick

I dunno... resolved, IMHO would have been if the "Reply" wording was replaced with "Quote" or "Reply with quote".

The one to change would be the button at the bottom changed to "Submit" since it is submitting a post. The other one makes sense because you are replying to a particular post and the quote tells the reader what you are replying to. Whereas adding a post ain't replying to nothin.

So, did you just reply to nothin? Subtle insult?

Speaking to the subject. So no, I wasn't replying to a particular post. Return of volley.

Oh, Bart, come clean. Tell him about the inordinate amount of time we Mods spend sitting around thinking up subtle ways to insult, belittle, and infuriate the members here. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.