Avalon 900 problem with auto start..... Dead?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

narles

Oct 13, 2008
Oregon
Hello,

This stove is a 1993 stove. It has a toggle switch for Power On and then a toggle switch for start. My stove was running fine.... I turned it off in the afternoon and later that night it doesn't do anything when turned on and hitting the start switch.

Usually, a light would come on once the start switch is activated and it would start the auger and the starting element. I did a thorough cleaning and verified that the stove has power. Any suggestions for what to look at next. I have a meter and am comfortable with working with electrical.

I've opened up the side and back panel, but haven't looked at anything else yet. Hoping some of you Pro's can offer some suggestions that I might look into before bringing in a repair service.

Blown fuse on control board?

EDIT: There may be another fuse located on the back of the stove near where the power cord goes into the stove.

narles said:
Forgot to mention that I had checked the fuse. The fuse is good.

I just updated my post....there may be another fuse on back panel of stove.....near where the power cord enters the stove.

The only fuse I see is the one on what I would assume is the control box. It is connected to the incoming power and has multi connectors on it.

I have power at the blue/Yellow wire in the switch. When switched I get power at Brown/white. I get nothing on the Red/white and Green wire in the On/off switch in either position.

the wires in the switch are arranged as follows.

OFF
Bl/Y & G
Br/W & R/W
ON

With the stove off and unplugged I'd remove and re seat those two MOLEX connectors and try plugging it back in and retry the power/start sequence.

Well I have no idea how things are setup in the control box and I haven't gone through all of that manual.

There is a fuse in a fuse holder on that box is that the fuse you checked ?

If so how did you check it?

Initially it was a visual check on the fuse. It checks out on the ohm meter. It looks like the next step in the manual is to replace the control box and/or start box. The manual mentions an internal fuse in the control box. I'll open up the control box and see what I can find. Should I jump power to the blower?

narles said:
Initially it was a visual check on the fuse. It checks out on the ohm meter. It looks like the next step in the manual is to replace the control box and/or start box. The manual mentions an internal fuse in the control box. I'll open up the control box and see what I can find. Should I jump power to the blower?

Do not jump power to the blower.

I think those fuses in the control box are spares.

Status
Not open for further replies.