Avalon Arbor Conbustor Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bythesea

Jan 6, 2011
Northeast, ma
I have a two year old Avalon Arbor wood burning stove with a blower installed in a fireplace hearth and I decided to vacuum out the ash in the stove and the combustor (seen in attach pic as #6). I noticed some hunks of light weight cement with the consistency of Styrofoam in the combustor. There was a long piece of this material under the ash the width of the rear combustion brick. I broke it trying to get it out through holes in the rear combustion brick, but it was approximately 12 inches long and looked to be a corner of the Combustor chamber, but I am not really sure. Is that Chamber something that would fall apart like this or is this some sort of soot bi-product? The dealer is really local and not overly helpful. Please advise. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 174
Welcome to the forums... yes, that styrofoam stuff is the combustor - it is very fragile material, even more so after a few years of burning. Certainly the weak spot of these stoves. I'd suggest you file a warranty claim with the dealer if you are still in the warranty period. Avalon/Lopi (Travis) seems pretty good about such claims.

I was hoping it wasn't the Combustor. It seems like a really big job to replace it, especially with it having to remove the stove completely to get access toit. But, it is still under warranty. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.