Avalon Arbor Pellet Stove Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fcarpeni

Dec 15, 2009
Eastern Mass
Hi, I have recently purchased an Arbor pellet stove. The company I purchased the stove from told me I didn't need to have a SS vent pipe going up my existing masonary chimney going up the side of my house. The building inspector is now asking me to get in writing that I don' need the SS vent pipe and that exhausting to the masonary chimney is safe. I have a woodstove using the same chimney for 25 years.. Do any of you have any experience with such an issue?

The manual says that you can connect to a masonary chimney but doesn't say whether you need a SS pipe
liner. All the pictures in the manual which show potential venting options show a SS pipe, so it is not clear.
The dealer actually just called to say he spoke to someone at the manufacturer who says that direct connect
to the masonary chimney is OK. I just need something in writing for the building inspector. What a pain...

fcarpeni said:
All the pictures in the manual which show potential venting options show a SS pipe, so it is not clear.
The dealer actually just called to say he spoke to someone at the manufacturer who says that direct connect
to the masonary chimney is OK. I just need something in writing for the building inspector. What a pain...

You have your answer as clear as day in the first sentence above. As for your "installer" and his "supposed" call to Travis Industries, I wouldn't believe them for a second.

IMO, put the liner in and be done with it. If you still are not sure, call Travis Ind. and ask them to speak with a tech rep.

Bottom line: the BI is asking for proof because he knows what the installer is trying to do isn't right, or to code.

Status
Not open for further replies.