avalon astoria diagnosis

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
Well as we all can agree this has been one brutal winter and my stove is feeling it.. close to 5 tons burnt so far

This week a few strange things started happening.

1. The exhaust fan shakes and rattles on a cold startup but goes away after a few minutes of running.

2. The convection fan randomly will shut off and then turn back on by itself.

3. Last night i awoke to a very prominent smoke smell. I turned the stove off and could not find a cause. The only explanation i can find is maybe the exhuast fan turned off for a period of time and then turned back on... so the house filled with some smoke.

4. The convection fan started to squeak occasionally (can this be oiled)

I called the stove shop and of course they qouted me $700 of a clean, new convection motor and a control board...

any thoughts on causes of these problems or where i can get parts for less then the dealer

My first question would be how old is the stove and how old are the blowers? The convection blower is thermally protected so if it gets too hot from overworking it will shut down until it cools off. As for the combustion blower, the rattling is probably an off balance internal fan or the dc motor is starting to get tired and taking too long to spool up to speed. If its over 5-7 years I'd replace both blowers. Should be no reason for a control board judging on what your symptoms are. I've had one of these stoves for a while.

First off, yes you can and should oil the convection blower. I believe 3M makes a oil for electric motors that has a blue and white bottle. Secondly, Your vacuum tube is getting plugged up. That is in the housing for the exhaust blower. It will simply come off so you can either blow it out or replace it as necessary. And lastly, give it a good cleaning. Right now you're having these problem's because it can't breath. I have an Astoria Bay Pellet Insert that we have had for 10 years. I just had those same issues in January. Good Luck!

Also, You don't need a control board or a new motor. That $700 price is a bit on the high side, But I do know a board is about $225 and a new exhaust blower is about $145.

Before replacing those parts check the connections. I have seen the spade connectors fail on my stove and other Astorias! Unplug the exhaust blower and put new connectors on it. I have seen them become loose and open up when the stove heats up!

My stove will be 5 years old in november..

I tried to take the yellow plugs off to oil the motor and the flange on both plugs snapped off. and suggestions on how to get the plus out now?

My stove will be 5 years old in november..

I tried to take the yellow plugs off to oil the motor and the flange on both plugs snapped off. and suggestions on how to get the plus out now?

Just pry them out with a mini screw driver.

TOday The Exhaust Shut Off Causing Smoke To Fill The House, I Tried It Again Tonight And After A Few Hours It Did It Again AnyIdeas?

System snap disc? Check the power outlet too. Sounds like its losing power to the unit if the blower will just shut off mid burn. Only time mine ever smoked out my house when during a black-out or brown-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.