Avalon Astoria Owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slickplant35

Jul 19, 2008
Northeast
Please help me. I have an avalon astoria on auto mode. I pressed the auto button on the thermostat and the stove just runs but no pellets drop. Ever happen to you?

Slickplant, I asked you in the other thread you started if the stove was new or used, and you never answered. I'll assume it's new.

The heat control is what determines how fast the pellets drop into the burn pot. If you raise the heat setting to max, the pellets will come in much faster.

If you have the push button controls for heat and fan, then you will also have a button that says "manual auger". Press that....that makes the auger turn regardless of other settings.....if you still don't get pellets in the burn pot after doing that a few (3-4 ) times, I would say that your auger motor isn't working.

If the stove is new, you should get your dealer to come service it and fix the problem.

It's brand new. I raised the heat setting and still nothing. Let me ask you this? If you have the stove on auto and have a wireless thermostat and you set the thermostat on lets say 80 and the room temp is reading 75 shouldn't the stove start regardless?

Yes, it should start.

but for now, let's eliminate the remote thermostat.....put the stove into the "manual" mode, and see if it starts. Don't forget to try priming the pellets using the "manual auger' button. If this works, then you know you have a thermostat issue.

I thought this stove there is no need to prime the auger? So switch it to manual? I did that. How long before I should wait for pellets to start dropping? The low heat light is blinking and so is the auger light a slow now and then blink not steady

You are right...you don't HAVE to prime the auger...it will fill itself eventually. But if you want to speed things up, press it to get the pellets up the auger tube faster.

Yes, on manual startup, the auger light should blink as the auger turns, and the lights should be on low-medium. If the auger IS empty, I'd guess and say by itself, it would take 5-10 minutes for pellets to start dropping into the burn pot.....like I said, pressing the manual auger will speed things up.....try it!

The simplest way to check the auger and make sure its working is to empty some pellets from the hopper until you can see the auger itself then set the thermostat to 90 and allow the stove to self ignite keeep watching the auger and make sure it is turning. The smoke you see has to be a leaking joint in the exhaust pipe itself. Wrap all connections with metal tape from the hardware store. Let us know if you can see the auger moving.

How long when you start a stove in manual mode even auto mode before you should see a pellet drop. I shouldn't have to adjust heat modes when I turn this stove on right it should just start and drop the pellets
By the way sorry to be such a pain but I have not a clue

Did you hold the button down? That makes it continuously run. In addition if you increase to heat level 5 that will feed 5.5 lbs. per hour compared to low at 1.5 (approx) per hour. That will speed things up as well. And maybe a dumb question but you put the switch on manual and hit the manual start button right?

I put the switch to manual and then yes I hit the manual start and the fan started running. I see a little hole in the burn pot with a glow in it but no pellets. I held in the auger button and still no pellets. When you say speed 5 what do you mean I have low medium and so on.

slickplant35 said:
I put the switch to manual and then yes I hit the manual start and the fan started running. I see a little hole in the burn pot with a glow in it but no pellets. I held in the auger button and still no pellets. When you say speed 5 what do you mean I have low medium and so on.

Please try this unplug the stove from the wall and allow to sit 5 minutes then plug it back in and put everything back to the thermostat setting and raise the thermostat temp so the stove will start and see what happens. Sometimes this works very well. Try it PLEASE>>>

Shane said:
Did you hold the button down? That makes it continuously run. In addition if you increase to heat level 5 that will feed 5.5 lbs. per hour compared to low at 1.5 (approx) per hour. That will speed things up as well. And maybe a dumb question but you put the switch on manual and hit the manual start button right?

Putting the Heat setting to 5 won't affect the startup......it automatically runs on medium until the stove warms up, then switches to whatever you have it set for.

This is straight from the manual:

"Press the "Manual Start" button. That's it. The stove automatically goes to a medium burn rate and high fan while the igniter starts the fire burning within 10 minutes. During this period the lowest “HEAT OUTPUT” light will flash. If the stove does not start in 30 minutes, the stove turns off.

Once up to temperature, the stove will then run at the heat output setting selected on the control panel"

If it doesn't turn at all while you hold the manual auger button down, there is obviously a problem. Have the dealer who sold it to you come fix it under warranty.

Took every last bit of pellets out and turned the stove in manual hit the manual start switch and then I held the auger button in and nothing. I definately will have him come.

Let us know how you make out, and what the problem was. Sorry we couldn't help you get it going.

thank you for all your advice. Shouldn't the auger turn with or without pellets in there the minute I hit that button right? I held it in for a few seconds and didn't turn.

slickplant35 said:
thank you for all your advice. Shouldn't the auger turn with or without pellets in there the minute I hit that button right? I held it in for a few seconds and didn't turn.

Did you unplug the stove and allow it to reset for 5 minutes?

Yes, if you hold the button in, it should start turning within a few seconds.

BTW, please realize that the auger does not turn very fast....maybe 1 turn per minute or so. That's why we said to hold the button in for a while.....the auger turns slow, and it would take a few minutes to bring the pellets to the top before they drop into the burn pot.

Well regardless pellets did not drop in no matter what mode and after leaving the stove in manual mode for 15 minutes a few pellets should have dropped and I know absolutely nothing about a pellet stove. I will get an education after a while.

Well, curiosity got the best of me on this one. My Astoria happened to be empty of pellets since I did a complete cleaning a while ago, so I decided to fill the hopper w/ some pellets, and got my trusty homemade 120 V. jumper wire I made to test all the motors.

From a completely empty auger, it took almost exactly 2 minutes before the first pellets started coming into the burn pot. That is with the auger running continuously.

Status
Not open for further replies.