Avalon astoria smoke smell ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coobie

Jan 20, 2010
southern michigan
We had our avalon astoria pellet stove installed in august of this year.Last night and tonight it got cold enough for our first burn.The stove is vented direct out of the sidewall of our house,we have noticed a slight smell of wood smoke.I have checked all of the pipe seals and door gaskets,no leaks there.The smoke smell seems to be coming out of the front blower motor.Is this normal?Thanks for any info.coobie

The convection blower sucks the air from the lower back of the stove(that's were the fan is mounted) and the air travels thru the stove out the front bezel. Most likely if there is a smoke smell its coming from a seam of a pipe joint. Dim the house lights and grab a bright flash light or drop light. With the stove just starting you should see the wisp of smoke coming from the leaky joint. The stove should produce the most amount of smoke just before ignition.

You will still get smoke during the normal run. But its much harder to see.

j-takeman said:
The convection blower sucks the air from the lower back of the stove(that's were the fan is mounted) and the air travels thru the stove out the front bezel. Most likely if there is a smoke smell its coming from a seam of a pipe joint. Dim the house lights and grab a bright flash light or drop light. With the stove just starting you should see the wisp of smoke coming from the leaky joint. The stove should produce the most amount of smoke just before ignition.

You will still get smoke during the normal run. But its much harder to see.
I did the flashlight test but only after the stove was running.I will shut the stove down and try again.Thanks coobie

Suspect joints would be those of the appliance adapter, sometimes installers fail to get sealant completely around those joints.

It is also possible that the combustion blower isn't sealed due to being loose and thus not fully seated against its gasket.

But in any event Jay gave you the procedure to find it.

There is another possibility as well but it is very low on the probability list.

ETA: You should never get a smoke smell in the room your stove is in unless you have its door open.

Hi Coobie

Good Luck with your Avalon Astoria. I had mine for 1 year and really luv it!

I had no problems except when I first got it, I did the dollar bill test on the door and had to tighten the clasp that holds the door shut. you might want to try that dollar bill test if you did not already. It is a great test for the door gasket.

Also if you clean the inside brick backing, make sure it is not wet or damp when you put it back in. Any wetness inside the firebox will get the pellets in the hopper damp and clog the auger. That is the only other problem I had which was my fault. LOL

To the left and Below are pics of mine, so please post some pics of yours. Thanks.
I built a mantle and added candles and also built a hearth with some 2x4s and Tile on backerboard on plywood and added red rope light and a 220 volt kickspace heater to warm my feet when the stove is down for cleaning. LOL

Attachments

• TRHPelletStove 016SC.jpg
    TRHPelletStove 016SC.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 360
  • PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection240SC.jpg
    PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection240SC.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 342
I had a very very slight smoke odor from my Quad Castile insert, from the day I had it installed. My installer told me it was normal to smell just a hint of wood smell on startup but I wasnt convinced. I only smelled it on initial start when there is often a lot of smoke in the box prior to the fire, and I had to put my nose right by the small opening in the side panel to even notice it, then I looked with a bright light all around and saw nothing.

What I did was get some Hi Temp Silicone sealant, and I spread some all the way around the vent joints in back of the unit , then let it cure for about 6 hours and presto, not one single hint of smoke now when it starts up. So in my case even though the guy put sealer all around the vent joints, there must have been a tiny pinhole or crack enough to let some out which was enough to smell. The odor was ever so slight, and only lasted about a minute and I could have just left it alone but I felt it had a leak somewhere. You might want to go over those vent joints with a thin coat of sealant and see if that helps.

I shut the stove down and restarted it,I did the flashlight test again and can see a small amount of smoke coming from the pipe seal in back.I will call my stove installer this morning and have them reseal it.Thanks again,coobie.

UPDATE !! My pellet stove installer told me today he could not make it to my place until oct.12th to reseal my stove.LOL.I ended up resealing it tonight and all is well NO SMOKE.coobie

Hello

That's great now can we see some pics :)

Don2222 said:
Hello

That's great now can we see some pics :)
Don,if I could ever figure out how to post pics I would.Maybe when my grandsons come down to visit they can help me post a few pics.LOL.coobie

Status
Not open for further replies.