Avalon Astoria Users (and general help)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
Anyone have any tips or tricks to getting the most out of your avalon? I feel like I have yet to tap into the potential of a clean burn high heat that I am sure exists. I can't seem to get the hang of the draft not to mention changing it per heat setting and pellet variety... I also have am curious if I am expecting to much from my stove. I have a two story house with a small addition. He do not heat the upstairs as it is under renovation. The stove is in the living room. The stove on medium keeps the living room in the 80's and a bedroom off of the living room around the same temp. The kitchen is quite a bit cooler but the addition is at least 20-25 degrees cooler. I have a propane space heater in there now which I have to occasionally fire up. I have a doorway fan that sends air into the kitchen from the living room and a fan pushing air from the adjacent bedroom into the addition. the entire house is a little over 1500 sqf I estimate I am only heating about 1100 sqf or so. Should I expect my stove which is rated to heat more than that to keep my house a more consistent heat? looking for some guidance

Thanks!

Love the forum!

You need to move the heat around. The rating comes from a perfect world, not from a typical house with rooms and hallways. A space heater is dependent on a distribution system to move the air before it cools. In my case, I leave the distribution fan on my stove on high.

Yes, I have the blower on High.. basically since I have had the stove about two months. I also run the ceiling fan in the living room.

I have a Lopi Yankee which is basicly the same stove. I also leave the Blower on High. I find that the Damper setting depends in addition to the Heat setting but also the Outside weather. I'm not sure why but it could be that the temperature change outside affects the Draft. In addition, I have a Cathedral ceiling in my Pellet room, I once left the ceiling fan off and ran the Pellet stove on high. After a while I remembered to turn on the ceiling fan, the temperature change was so drastic that it actually set off the CO2 alarm. The alarm would not reset, so I replaced it. My concern was if it was a real CO2 problem, but other CO2 alarms in the house said all was OK and the one I replaced was 5 years old. They say CO2 alarms have a limited lifespan.

dhungy said:
......I can't seem to get the hang of the draft not to mention changing it per heat setting and pellet variety... I also have am curious if I am expecting to much from my stove........The stove on medium keeps the living room in the 80's and a bedroom off of the living room around the same temp. The kitchen is quite a bit cooler but the addition is at least 20-25 degrees cooler.......

First of all, follow the direction in your manual to set the air draft control. Just enough to get the pellets "dancing" around in the bottom of the pot, but not jumping out as whole pellets. That is optimum. I used to set that while on Med-Hi (second green light) heat setting, and then didn't have to touch it unless the stove started to get dirty, or i changed brands of pellets.

As for the stove being able to heat your house, like Souzaphone said above, in a "perfect" house with no walls, it would heat that 1500 Sq. Ft space easily. Unfortunately, no house is perfect like that. The fact that you have most of the house at 80 degrees (yikes!!!) means the stove is pushing out some serious heat as it is.

The living room is around 80 the rest of the house is less then that.. But i understand what your saying

Status
Not open for further replies.