Avalon Astoria Wood Pellet Stove Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the same as 5/6 year old car. Do you know how it was used? What kind of maintenance it had? How many ton of pellets run through it? With a used car you can check the mileage, look at the oil, check the transmission fluid and get some idea of the use. A stove will only show the maximum neglect, not the very hard use.

Don't damn Travis for poor quality, they seem to have an on going program to keep their stoves in homes. Take the control board for example, it just got updated and is good for all stoves retro-fits. How many other companies do that? They are also working on making the stoves more adaptable. Last Fall the introduced a ZC cabinet surround for the large insert (I'm waiting for the surround for the Newport Bay to be released, so I can install my 2001 stove.) They also have updated the large stoves to burn corn, and other bio-fuels. I understand that can also be retro'ed.

Check out their investment in the stove business. How many fly by night companies are building new manufacturing facilities in recent years?

Remember the car analogy? Who's building new car plants? Are Ford and GMC getting bigger? Well, Travis may be a parallel for Toyota.

Just one man's opinion. I don't own stock in Travis, I don't sell stoves or pellets, but think this is a truly future thinking industry.

Follow-up report: the stove has been running beautifully since I laid the vacuum switch at an angle in the rear of the stove. I've been able to use Auto mode for the past week with no trouble at all, too. Heck, even the fan noise has diminished for the time being.

I think I've managed to answer a question I asked in the OP regarding the temperature difference required at the hand-held wireless remote control thermostat to trigger shut-down or start-up mode: from observation, it appears to be 1.0 or 1.1 degrees above or below the temperature programmed into the remote control.

Status
Not open for further replies.