Avalon Firebox split what should I do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quickrch

Mar 28, 2009
Northern, VA
I have an Avalon Astoria it is in the limited warranty stage now. It has a split in one of the seams of the firebox. I must admit that at first I thought that the brick back bent on its own. Later I realized that gas and fly ash was pushing back through the exhaust chamber behind the burn area into the burn area. The limited warranty covers one way shipping and the firebox repair. Here are my options as I see them:
  • Take the stove out of my house, drive it 70 miles to the nearest dealer (stove is no longer near a dealer) who can ship it back to the manufacture. I pay one way shipping which was $600+ when it was shipped to my house. The transaction takes 8-10 weeks.
  • Take the stove locally and have a welder put a bead on the seam. I think this will seal it and end issue. buy a new brick back.
  • Contact the dealer and see if I can order a firebox and replace it myself. I am not a stove person but I have repaired other mechanical things and have moderate to advanced mechanical skills and tools.
  • Just buy a new stove (this is too expensive
Has anyone had a problem like this? Any experts out there with some advice?

Attachments

• WP_20150212_003.jpg
    WP_20150212_003.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 301
  • 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 307
Find a local talented welder and I'll bet they can effect a repair without much fuss. A friend of mine had his wood stove repaired that way and no problems since.

Reactions: Bioburner
Find a local talented welder and I'll bet they can effect a repair without much fuss. A friend of mine had his wood stove repaired that way and no problems since.
Wonderful, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.