1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Avalon igniter picture

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by narles, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narles

narles New Member

Loc:
    Oregon
    Avalon 900 PS stove. Went to fire up for first fire of season and pot overfilled. Igniter comes on but doesn't light pellets. Cleaned stove, exhaust box, flue trap. Still will not light. As I remember from last year, the ignitor was clearly visible in the fire box when starting. I can see it is on but does not seem to be shooting into the fire box. Pellets will not even char. I've attached some picts of the ignitor. First is with the flash on, rest is without flash. Does it appear to be working right? Glowing as bright as it should?

Question- I would think that the igniter would either be good or bad, not partially bad. Am I on the right track?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    any stick heater that glows like that will have the insulation breakdown and fail eventually........too me a poor design, but I would think a pellet touching that should ignite....is air suppossed to flow around the stick heater and ignite the pellets?
    I'm very, very, unfamilliar with your stove
  3. narles

narles New Member

Loc:
    Oregon
    The end of the igniter doesn't stick into the burnpot. It sits about 1/4" away and the burn pot has a small hole (3/16" ?) that is aligned with the igniter.
  4. JBlank912

JBlank912 New Member

Loc:
    NW NJ
    I have a Lopi Yankee also made by Travis, and that seems like the same as mine. The igniter sits just outside the burn pot and glows similar to yours. What about the draft setting? Didi you try opening it more or less?
  5. narles

narles New Member

Loc:
    Oregon
    yes, I have adjusted the draft. I'm home now so I'm going to try to manual light
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

Looks just like my Astoria when it gets hot....I would think that's hot enough to light pellets.

BTW, are the pellets new and/or dry?
  7. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    Looks plenty hot enough for sure. Is it possible that the
    ignitor got pushed back while cleaning and now it's not reaching
    the pellets?
  8. narles

narles New Member

Loc:
    Oregon
    stove is working fine after a manual light so I believe I can rule out air leaks, clogs, etc. and that my problem is the igniter. Zeta- I'll check for movement but I doubt that it could move. The igniter is recessed in a steel sheath. This is consistent with a diagram in my manual.

MacMan is the end of the igniter spaced a little away from the firebox on your stove? From memory, last year it seemed as though igniter would shoot into the firebox.
  9. narles

narles New Member

Loc:
    Oregon
    pellets are from last season, but have been stored inside and are dry.
  10. imacman

imacman Guest

Yes, I would say that it's approx 1/8" - 1/4" from the back of the burn pot. What I observe is the ignitor getting hot, and any pellets that are close to the hole in front of the ignitor start smoldering, and after a few minutes, they get hot enough and suddenly "poof"....fire.
  11. narles

narles New Member

Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks for all your input. The auto ignite is working fine now. Don't know exactly what fixed it, but all is good..... and warm!
  12. imacman

imacman Guest

Glad it "fixed" itself narles...LOL.

BTW, I just did my weekly cleaning, and the ignitor housing on my Astoria is just about touching my burn pot, and the actual element is about 1/16 - 1/8" behind that.
  13. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
    you could have had a draft leak
    Stick in a tube ignitor systems work of the convection heat off the glowing stick
    Air need to draft in the tube and into the burn pot. a small slot is in the side of the ignitor tube the hot air sucked threw it is what ignites the pellets.

Possible low draft caused on a 900 or firefox 400 pellet stove other than general cleaning off the flue system and heat exhange

(the firebox chamber is negative air if any kind of extra air leak, air will not draft pass threw the fire grate or suck air through the ignitor tube)

had air draft rod in to far not enough air

front door and or ash pan NOT shut tight and latched

Ash trap doors at the bottom of the fire box not shut and or the round plugs at the top left and right firebox missing or no put back in
  14. SlimGedi

SlimGedi New Member

Loc:
    Boston Metro
    My Lopi Yankee did the same. After reducing the amount of air with the restrictor, it started just fine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.