Avalon Insert Surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aharrison

Oct 10, 2011
maryland
We recently just had a 1995 Avalon Olympic woodstove professionally installed. Because the insert wouldn't fit as far back into the chimney firebox as needed, we asked that the installer do a slight modification to the surround to make it fit flush with the brick chimney on the insert. Unfortunately, he did a really bad job and we are not sure where to go from here. It is definitely not flush and the whole thing is a bit crooked. We had our first fire the other night and it seems that now the surround is starting to bow. We really don't want him to come back out and screw it up any more then he already has so we may try and fix it ourselves. Our thought is to use a heat resistent adhesive and glue them on to the outer side shell of on the stove and then just have the top surround slip on top of that. Will this even work? Is it a bad idea to try and adhere the surround to the insert without screws? Any other suggestions? I can post pictures if needed

Welcome. Yes, it is a bad idea to depend on adhesive for this application. The surround is heavy and ideally should be firmly attached to the stove. But there may be other options. Is it possible to see the problem in a picture or two? We need to see what modifications were made.

In lieu of pictures some options might be attaching the surround to the fireplace or running the stove without the surround.

Here is a link to the one I installed. I made the trim from the old open fireplace doors and added some plate steel to meet the edges of the stove. Point is that my trim is not attached to the stove. It uses the screws that go into the lintel and brace screws at the bottom that tighten into the brick. It's not attached to the stove anywhere.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83582/P0/

Status
Not open for further replies.