Avalon Olympic Stove tested again and another satisfied owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Larry-I've been burning an Olympic for 3 yrs and never get that........better look into it quick.

Do you guys really run your stoves at 800 deg? Is that a surface temp or a flue temp? I've had mine take off and bury the needle on the surface thermometer but didn't like it. I must say though, the stove seems to take it well, never really seems as if it's overfired. Sometimes it seems as if the wood gasses alot at once and away she goes!

I have about 25 feet (plus) of stack height. Its is brand new, only a few fires in it and installed in September.

The vent line is an issue, installers are coming out tommorow to correct it (they put a too small hole in the stove for the vent, event smaller than the 3" flex hose). What is odd is that my owners manual says the minimum flow area is 16 in^2 for outside air (through a floor joice), yet the Avalon outside air kit has a 3" dia flex hose. Kinda odd. They put a 2.5" dia hole in the back of the stove so that definetly makes things worse. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

But... if I take the block off plate off the front of the stove, to allow room air in, it does get better, but still only to about 300F.

I have tried kiln dried firewood and am now using Biobricks. The Biobricks help with the heavy caked glass issue, but temps still are not there.

Larry

>>Do you guys really run your stoves at 800 deg?
Yes. I don't try to keep it there, but am happy to get it there and then let it slowly coast down.
>>Is that a surface temp or a flue temp?
Surface, on the "cooktop" portion (top of the stove, lower level, just left of center, near where it steps up).
>>I've had mine take off and bury the needle on the surface thermometer but didn't like it.
Yeah, I think most of us have been there, but not intentionally. A person has to pay attention (uh, stay awake) after you add a big load of wood onto an established bed of coals.

Status
Not open for further replies.