Avalon pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slickplant35

Jul 19, 2008
Northeast
Last night I woke up and it was freezing in the house. Well I have one of those wireless thermostats and for some reason I had it set on 73 and it was only showing a temp of 60 so I turned the temp to come on higher and the stove came on. I went back to bed. A little while longer I smelled a really hot hot smell. Is that normal if the stove is working hard? My husband yesterday was playing and I think he turned up the heat output. I don't want to call the store where I bought it if it's normal to smell a strong hot smell.

I have a Lopi Yankee. Avalon and Lopi are made by Travis and use the same wireless remote. I am finding it flakey in how it works. The best that I can figure out, on automatic it seems to send the On or Off signal tthat is caused by the temperature change once. Once it sends the signal it does not seem to send it again. In addition if I change the temperature so that it passes the on/off point it does not seem to send the signal at that point only when it passes the on/off point by itself. Seems odd but thats seems to be the logic in the device. I ma still trying to prove it to myself. For now if I find it did not do what I wanted I press off on the remote, set the temperature and wait a minute or so. Then turn it back on. Not the best of circumstances but seems to work. I also get the opposite, its on but does not turn off soon enough, then I hold the remote near the stove - temperature shoots up and that signals it off.

Now as for the burning smell, how new is the stove? Is it just the new stove smell? If the stove is on high and burns for a while the smell should burn off but it could take a few hours. Mine had an odor for a few days but it disappated over time.

I've had the stove since September 24 and run it on and off. My husband turned the heat output up and that's when we smelled the odor. If I leave it on med high I don't smell anything I don't understand

slickplant35 said:
I've had the stove since September 24 and run it on and off. My husband turned the heat output up and that's when we smelled the odor. If I leave it on med high I don't smell anything I don't understand
Some of the paints won't cure off at lower temps - to be sure to cure the paints (and burn off the oils used in manufacturing), just burn it on high for several hours with the windows open.

It seems wierd to still have the smell considering it's been running but I guess all of you know better than me. It smelled like a very hot hot smell.

slickplant35 said:
It seems wierd to still have the smell considering it's been running but I guess all of you know better than me. It smelled like a very hot hot smell.
Some of the paints need the high heat to cure - the lower heat isn't hot enough to do it...kind of like roasting a turkey - ain't gonna happen at 200 but will at 325.

Status
Not open for further replies.