Avalon pendelton max temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb4020

Nov 21, 2009
SE PA
Hi i just installed a and avalon 745 which is the same as the pendelton. I works fairly well with my new 6" duraplus chimney although there seems to be almost too much draft. I have 22' of chimney. I did install a pipe damper but try to avoid using it due to lowering chimney temps and building creosote. My question is it seems to get hot easily and i dont know where it should cruise at. I only crack the air control and can keep it at 500 - 700 but just seems to get hot real fast. I did put a new door gasket in and it seems to be air tight. Any ideas where i should keep temps? Thanks for any help. Jason

That 500-700 stove top temp is about right. I wouldn't worry too much about using that damper on a 22' chimney. You'll likely see little increase in soot accumulation and will have alot more control of your fire. I used to put stove pipe dampers on Avalon Pendletons and Lopi Answers all the time on really tall chimneys to add a little more control.

Our Avalon Rainier 90 gets up to temp fast, and I keep it around 650ºF. Of course it can get a great deal hotter than that. My flue temps are what I watch more religiously however. I shoot for a cruising temp around 550ºF for that.

In my mind, the temp of the flue tells me what I want to know about my system, and I follow it, more than my stove temp.. Of course, if I were to see my stove turning CHERRY, ..............that's another matter.

-Soupy1957

Thanks for the help. I feel better now getting to know the stove more. Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.