CheaperthanYou Posted By CheaperthanYou, Mar 7, 2013 at 8:25 AM

1. CheaperthanYou

CheaperthanYou
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 11, 2013
    Loc:
    Levittown
    Im looking to suppliment my heat in my 1300 sqft ranch levitt home.
    Central chimney and pretty open floor plan. Just looking to offset my heating cost, I would really like to put a Napoleon 1402 insert in my fireplace, but cash is tight.

I found a englander 13-nci for about 700 brand new with blower and surround, and i found a avalon rainier insert for about 100 less, no surroung though.

I have plenty of dry wood as we have been using our fireplace for years, and the wood is sesoned at least 2 years, some more.

what would be a better buy do you think.
    This will all be a proper install with 6" stainless right to the top. thanks

2. rideau

rideau
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    southern ontario
    Englander seems to have great customer service and stand behind their products.

Not meant as a knock on Avalon. Know nothing about their quality of customer support.

Just a positive for Englander.

chvymn99 likes this.
  3. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Neighbor has the Avalon Rainier. It is a good insert and a great heat machine.

4. Heatsource

Heatsource
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2011
    Loc:
    Northern CA
    I sold tons of Avalons in the past, very solid machines

5. murinsky

murinsky
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 11, 2011
    Loc:
    SW CT
    I have an Avalon Rainer and I love it. Bought it used a year ago, I think it is about 10 years old. I can't make any comparisons, it's the only stove I've owned but I am happy with it and would buy one again. I use it every day.

It had the brass door surround, which I shot with silver stove bright, as the brass only stays shiny if you don't use the stove!! I was sick of looking at the tarnished brass.

6. chvymn99

chvymn99
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2010
    Loc:
    Kansas
    I have the NC13, I really like that stove. It has no problem for about 90% of my use, for the other 10% I just have to work a little diligent with it. But I'm about 1800 SF just give a idea of what I'm heating. Good luck, it sounds like either way you go both are good stoves.

7. Beer Belly

Beer Belly
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2011
    Loc:
    Connecticut
    I love my Avalon Ranier, but having a problem with burn times.....most likely due to wood supply, but a great stove