Avalon Rainier WB Insert ... thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
My original thread here

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/18359/P0/

I visted another local store this afternoon, and their recommendation was an Avalon Rainer (they said "Ray Neer", I would have said "rain er", oh well :p).

Ditto the first store on ease of install, etc. Stove @ $2369 chimney pipe/liner $650, additional for the blower $299, and $650-$750 on the install of all of this, so about $4000 over and done.

They would also be taking out the old damper, and if needed be opening the FP heatolator opening for the chimney liner if need be.

They did tell me the heatolators would be non functioning w/ the insert. But also recommnded insulating the grate openings, and covering them up. I do plan on refinshing the front of the FP.

Rainer

http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=254

Here is the house layout.
HOUSELAYOUT61408.jpg

The 4 rooms to the right, are the apartment. It's on it's own zone off of the OHW burner. The master bedroom, sitting room, and bath are on that zone as well(bottom of diagram).

I want to heat the area to the left of the diagram. The little square at the topmost left, is an upstairs extension which is kinda like a turret room :) w/ceiling fan.

I figure it's about 1/2 of the total sq feet, which is 2000. So I wanna heat the rest,, which is about another 1000 sq feet.

The fireplace is in the den (which is labeled as "bedroom 19'6 x 11'2, ) . There are french doors on both sides of the FP, which access the living room. And as I mentioned before, ceiling fans through out with up/down capability.

You may fire at will :p

Rai·nier [ruh-neer, rey-neer] –noun Mount, a volcanic peak in W Washington, in the Cascade Range. 14,408 ft. (4392 m). The first recorded view of Mount Rainier was made by Captain George Vancouver, a British explorer, while mapping Puget Sound in 1792. He named it after his friend Peter Rainier.

Attachments

• 300px-Rainiersourdoughridge.jpg
    300px-Rainiersourdoughridge.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 686
I stand corrected.... But I'm not editing that post :p, it's to long !

"Reiner"

btn_shows.jpg

You may still fire at will.

Dunno about the Rainier insert specifically, but we have a Lopi Liberty freestanding, and we like it very much. Here's the parent company's website for ya:

http://www.travisproducts.com/

Rick

EDIT: Oh yeah...don't let anybody talk you out of springing for the blower kit...makes all the difference in the world, especially for an insert. Rick

Thanks, Rick, I'll keep that in mind.

I would think the blower would help the heat move through the rest of the main floor?

PS... I have friends in Bend
15_8_218.gif

Shogunjack said:
...I would think the blower would help the heat move through the rest of the main floor?

PS... I have friends in Bend
15_8_218.gif

Absolutely! The blower gets that forced convection going horizontally out from the stove, which causes good diffusion & mixing. Coupled with your ceiling fans, it's the best shot you got. Your layout's not ideal (who's is?), but you'll figure out how to deal with it. BTW, I know those guys...in fact, they built my house. :cheese: Rick

Hee hee, I always think they are related to the "ex" ... they remind me of what my house looked like after he got done with it :p

I also thought, that as there is a potential for openings to the living room from the den right over the fireplace, that that would be a simple way of opening up more air flow from the insert to the rest of the house.

Ceiling fans, commence your engines !

Shogunjack said:
...I also thought, that as there is a potential for openings to the living room from the den right over the fireplace, that that would be a simple way of opening up more air flow from the insert to the rest of the house...

If you're talking about opening up the wall, it might not be worth it. Is that den ever closed off from the living room? How about just removing the french doors completely? Rick

EDIT: You know this isn't exactly likely to give you "miracle heat" back there in the dining room...woodstoves and inserts are space heaters, and we all face challenges in trying to distribute the heat throughout our compartmentalized homes. Rick

LOL !! Funny !

The daughter and I were discussing this, this evening, and came to the same conclusion. Take down the french doors. I can always put them back if need be.

Oh, and we've taken down many a wall, no problem if needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.