Avalon Wood Stove External Draft Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSaupe

Dec 8, 2007
Southern Adirondacks NY
Greetings from the Southern Adirondacks. I am in the search and review phase of wood stoves. One local dealer sells Avalon and Lopi and I am seriosuly considering the Avalon Olympic. I plan on using external draft (outside air). Unfortunately, I was not able to get clear information from the dealer on how this is implemented (other than it is attached to a knock-out hole in the rear).

My assumption is that when the outside air kit is added, the traditional inside air feed gets blocked in some manner (cover plate etc)? This stove can also be operated with the door open and a screen put in place (which I assume will cause feed then from both the room and outside).

Anyone have any details on this unit? My primary goal would be to ensure that (in normal door closed operation):

1. No outside air can feed into the room when the stove is not in operation.
2. During the burn phase (with the door closed) it is feeding only outside air and not pulling inside and outside air (desired).

Any other feedback on this stove in general (pro's and cons)?

Larry S.

Olympic OAK

The isntructions show a plate blocking the intake for inside air. However, you may get some cold air into the living space when the stove is not in operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.