average price for a cord???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm paying $190 a cord for a mix of mostly cherry and ash with some maple thrown in. That's cut, split and delivered. I stack myself.

Actually, it's going to be a little bit less, as my guy said he' can go cheaper if I pay cash, so I'm hoping for $170 a cord, but figure it'll end up being $180. Haven't paid yet, as I'm still awaiting another couple of cords to be delivered.

They charge $275 to $350 or so for a cord of Ca black oak or other hardwood here.
I see hand painted signs sometimes advertising $275 or so. Frequently
See trailers full of wood w/ signs that say "cord of oak $250" but the
trailer no way is a cord. My dad would buy 3 cords almond
Or similar hardwood and pay close to 800. The prices are delivered.

I pay $30 to the USFS and get 2 cords of oak out of the forest,
sometimes pick up a little Doug-fir or incense-cedar for shoulder
Season. A lot of work but keeps us warm.

Green around here is $160-$185, seasoned (whatever that may mean) goes for $210-225. I think the tornado helped to lower prices since so many trees got knocked down and it may have lowered demand a little. Once I get my scrounded wood cut and splt I may pick up some split wood if I find a good deal, you never know, next year the price may shoot up. Couldnt hurt to be 3-4 years ahead.

laynes69 said:
The local firewood dealer sells his wood at 200 a cord. Most others at 40-60 a face cord. The local Amish a mile down the road sell for 135 a cord all hardwood.

Everywhere I have seen around Northeast Ohio, is about $150-$200 depending on species. laynes69 I too live in Ashland (County). Sullivan to be exact. I live right next to a Amish sawmill. They sell me a "Heaping" truckload of there fattest Slabs for $20-$25 bucks. I could easily buy my wood through them. But it isnt always the "Fat" ones on top of there 50' tall by 50' in diameter pile. Have to dig around most of the time for the Thick ones, that have some meat left on the bone.

I just assume cut it myself, or take the easy scrounge off of Craiglist (Got 2 Really nice scores recently). If I didnt have this option, then I would be knocking on my neibors door. But I have the time and the equipment.

Most of the reputable dealers around here like to sell green, and they'll tell you it's green, and to season it yourself--best practise for everyone involved as they don't have to unload, store, and reload, and the buyer knows exactly what he/she is getting.

Best price I've found is with a dealer who sells a fat cord for $160 C/S/S of birch. Paper birch is the good stuff around here--I think it may grow different here from the way it does in the L48, because it's our overnight-fire wood. In general, prices right now are running around 175-200 per cord.

In the winter, the price goes up to 300-325, but I suspect it's still green then. Go figure.

Never heard of folks talk about face cords locally, only on the forums.

I know of one local dealer who was selling for 200. to 220. for a cord of 100 percent Red Oak. His own source is free from tree services, he splits it and sells it. I've frequently seen it higher around here.

45-50 for a truckload, and depending on the seller that gives you 1/3+ cords. The guy i use if I get behind gets me almost half a cord in one load. That's cut, split, delivered, and stacked by the door. Sometimes I think about only buying because I almost can't make my own firewood that cheaply.

The 3.5 cords I bought this year 1 cord was c/s/d and it was $165, the other 2.5 was cut, I picked up and split and I paid $220, so $88/cord. Have more to pick up this weekend at $100 a cord.

$120 to 160 for a cord of hardwood. sometimes dry, usually green.

Stegman said:
I'm paying $190 a cord for a mix of mostly cherry and ash with some maple thrown in. That's cut, split and delivered. I stack myself.

Actually, it's going to be a little bit less, as my guy said he' can go cheaper if I pay cash, so I'm hoping for $170 a cord, but figure it'll end up being $180. Haven't paid yet, as I'm still awaiting another couple of cords to be delivered.

Ended up paying $170 a cord. Good supplier, lives nearby, and he realized I'd be a regular customer. Wood was green, not seasoned, by the way.

North central Illinois I see $80/face, $240-$280/cord delivered for good mixed hardwoods . Picked up typically costs the same for some reason.
I had to buy a few cords to catch up for this winter (found some 2 year C/S/S) I already have 2012/13 split and stacked, now I'm starting to buck the 2013/14 supply.

I watch CL for free scores everyday...... and here on the Isle a "cord" of "seasoned" (not) hardwood goes for anywhere between $140- $220. Its a big swing in price - and you never know what your going to get until the truck is in your driveway :-S Man, am I glad I'm a scrounger, and don't have to deal with that anymore.

This ouches me. Back in early July, I found a guy who said he'd deliver and stack "a cord and a quarter" of seasoned firewood for $145. He said it would all fit in his specially tricked-out, beefed-up truck.

That was too good to pass up.

At my house, he did not stack it 4' by 4' by 8', and it didn't look like any cord and a quarter to me. After he left, I restacked it, and I got two and a half face cords, or 5/6 of a cord.

So, based on his $145 figure, a real dictionary cord would be $174. I will say this: It is good, dry wood. MC varied from about 12% to 15% back in July. I can't kick at that price, but it sure isn't what I thought I was paying.

Tomorrow, I am taking delivery (from another guy) of two honest cords of locust for $195 a cord. I bought a cord from him last year and was very pleased.

I'll compare the performance of both sources this winter and decide where to buy next year.

Nancy

Around here local farmers, Amish and Mennonites sell hard wood for 80$ 1/3 bush cord. I get my wood a from a close,old farmer for the same price. Thus 240$ c/s but I pick up. I often complain but the wood is seasoned for 9 months minimum and it is all clean with no "nasties". I wish I could get it cheaper. Probably could but then I'd be traveling further.

Status
Not open for further replies.