1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Away They Go

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by rottiman, Sep 8, 2013.

1. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Marked the calendar today as the day that our Hummingbirds have departed for their southern trip. Roughly about 2 weeks earlier than normal. Not sure what if anything this early departure means. We did have a larger population around all summer though.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    They are going to have a hot trip in the middle of the country this week. It always amazes me how birds can do the long migration. But it is especially amazing for hummingbirds that burn fuel quickly and have very small tanks.
  3. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

I've read of hunters finding them in the feathers of downed geese and other large migrators. No proof of it, but cool to think about.
  4. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Our hummers are here in full force. They empty the two feeders in about 3 days.
  5. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    It's 50-ish here tonight but will be 90 again by Wednesday. Nothing here migrating, even the wasps are still a nuisance!
  6. rottiman

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Out on the Goldwing for a ride yesterday and noticed a number of large flocks of several species feeding up in the freshly cut feilds . It is 38f here this morning. We are supposed to get one day of the heat you folks are getting south of the border but cooling down after that. Everything points to being about two weeks ahead of schedule for fall here.
  7. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio
    How do you know they started migrating?? I am still seeing them and was wondering.
    Did they send you a card or post a little sign by thier nest??
    But seriously what are the signs the have moved on?
    Adios Pantalones likes this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    That claim seems to circulate from time to time and it is pure baloney.

As for the hummers, we still have plenty here. Some of the other birds have left though.
  9. rottiman

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Actually pretty simple. They swarm the feeders day in and day out , everyday. On days when the weather is wetter or cooler they step up the amount they feed. They also spend alot of time feeding on the fusia palnts my wife has near the feeders. We have had seveal days of cooler, wetter weather and now, not one hummer to be seen, zero, notta. That would be a pretty strong case for the fact that they have departed the area. I can well imagine you will still see them in mid-ohio especially with the heat your area is having.. Up here the ritual never changes year to year. This year it is about two weeks early.
  10. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    Hummers are still fighting over the nectar , they head further south around Mid October here.
  11. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We've had an increase in activity the past week or so. I suspect they have moved down from the mountain fields or maybe they are coming down from Canada.
  12. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Lots of 'em here this year. Saw one on Bee-Balm that when finished draining a petal-cup would pluck and discard it. Tried to get a pic., but he made a beeline for a passing flock of honkers headed for the golf courses at Hilton Head.