Awesome discovery or waste of time? Help me identify this stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItNatural

Aug 25, 2009
Western Conn
Hey guys, I came across this stove and want to know what kind it is and if you think I should make a move on it. I'm going to post some pictures, if I don't get it right at first, I'll delete this thread and start it over.
They're included as attachments.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 3k43m13l35Od5Sd5Rc98p007d501958451941.jpg
    3k43m13l35Od5Sd5Rc98p007d501958451941.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,005
  • 3k53p93o45Q65Rb5S898p9c2167a0d15911f3.jpg
    3k53p93o45Q65Rb5S898p9c2167a0d15911f3.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 936
  • 3k63m33oa5Q85R75S198p4ca82f1cb56d1304.jpg
    3k63m33oa5Q85R75S198p4ca82f1cb56d1304.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 937
  • 3ke3p33l45Pb5R95S098p5e597716ce651d57.jpg
    3ke3p33l45Pb5R95S098p5e597716ce651d57.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 952
Looks like a Hearthstone II. There should be some info on it if you use the search engine and also look in the wiki section. It's the older Hearthstone models from the 70-80's.

Looks like a very nice stove there - I assume you found it for sale. "awesome" of course will depend on the asking price - and if the condition inside is as good as it looks from the outside. I don't know much about that stove, but the Hearthstones do have a great reputation in general and that sure looks like a pretty stove to me, I don't see anything wrong with it from the pictures.

The price the person is asking is $450. Believe it or not...
I emailed them asking about the stove, with a couple of quick questions. Such as condition, use, and their reason for getting rid of it.
My first thought was that it was a hearthstone too, Todd, but I jumped on their website quick and the current models didn't match it exactly. I'll look around online a little more to see what I can find about it, but that sounds pretty good. I guess time will tell.
Anyone out there with a Hearthstone II who could tell me what they think of it?

Looks like a Hearthstone II. It's a good unit, put replacement parts are nearly non-existent.
I've had a couple of customers - over the last couple of years - looking to replace warped & cracked cast parts & they're not available thru Hearthstone any more.
I WILL say tho, that if you need cast parts refurbished, there are some good welders around who can
rework cast iron.
Take a look at the insides & maybe lay a straight edge against the components to see if any warping has occurred...

it is a hearthstone 2. i own one. it's a nice stove. if it needs too many parts inside i would see if you could talk him down. if you need parts here is a link to where i got parts.
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/
they nice to deal with. the common part to go is the fireback with the big H on it and the baffle. if by chance you don't find anything go to a welding shop they can make you what you want out of boiler plate. i had a welding shop make me the baffle for 30 dollars cheaper. and if you need a manual here is the man you want to talk to.
[email protected]
he is the guru for hearthstone. get the manual and rebuild it yourself. not hard to do just heavy.
the top with the stone in it weighs a ton.
like i said earlier, it's a nice stove, but don't think you get 8 hour burn out it. it has a small firebox.
i usually get no more that 5 to 6 hours out of it. but the stones stay warm for 2 hours after there are no coal left inside. and it burns fairly clean for a pre epa stove. my stove has the secondary burner in it and i works fine. once it gets a nice hot fire going the smoke disappears.

I would pass if I were you mine ate allot of wood double my Encore and is very heavy i had trouble getting a good draft to for some reason and have no trouble now at all I think for a thousand or under you could by a better and newer wood stove that would use less wood. That's just my opinion good luck...

Redburn said:
I would pass if I were you mine ate allot of wood double my Encore and is very heavy i had trouble getting a good draft to for some reason and have no trouble now at all I think for a thousand or under you could by a better and newer wood stove that would use less wood. That's just my opinion good luck...
I owned one also.You can also burn coal in it.I would get about a 17 hr.burn with the coal.As stated check the insides.If it's in good condition buy it and burn coal in it.

Rich L said:
Redburn said:
I owned one also.You can also burn coal in it.I would get about a 17 hr.burn with the coal.As stated check the insides.If it's in good condition buy it and burn coal in it.

hey rich
when i was talking to jim casavant i asked about burning coal and he said (don't burn coal) i said why he said (don't burn coal)
i never got a straight answer out of him about burning coal. so i'll try you. is it worth burning coal in it? or does it burn out the stove quicker? and or what can you tell me about burning coal? where can ya get a coal grate?

thanks

by the way. it does seem to go thru wood until ya git up to temperature and the spring shuts down the primary air. that's the only time i can get 5 hour burns. i thought maybe i had to much draft and thought of putting in a pipe damper.

I was going to run up and take a look and buy it if no major cracks or anything bad until I found out how old it probably is. Baffle? No way I am buying ancient stoves. Not worth the wood and effort no matter how much soap stone it has on it.

Anyway, make your own choice but I think you can do better even if you have to spend more money. Englander 30s are only $999 at lowes - not as pretty but isn't it really about the heat??

Awesome discovery.
I love it.

Talk him down and use this angle.
"Well, it's an older stove and all my techno-weenie friends have top of the line 2009 EPA stoves and I might burn a few more splits in this one."

Assuming it is structuraly sound and matches your needs it's an awesome discovery.

DAKSY said:
Looks like a Hearthstone II. It's a good unit, put replacement parts are nearly non-existent.
I've had a couple of customers - over the last couple of years - looking to replace warped & cracked cast parts & they're not available thru Hearthstone any more.
I WILL say tho, that if you need cast parts refurbished, there are some good welders around who can
rework cast iron.
Take a look at the insides & maybe lay a straight edge against the components to see if any warping has occurred...

i sell every replacement part for this model, not all are listed now, but we offer them all

i have never had good luck re-welding warped cast iron, it doesn't work well

http://woodheatstoves.com/hearthstone-wood-stove-parts-c-292_91_321.html

great find btw!!

I bought a stove just like this in Montana in October. I am a woman and 62 and the process was extensive, I installed it with help from my son. The age of the stove is located on the back with the number and craftsman who made it, mine was made in 1990 and was in a summer cabin. I finally attached a magic heat reclaimer on the pipe. Mine works well al thought I don't have wood other than pine. It has reduced my heating costs down to $65/ month for a almost 3000 square foot house. I just love it. I could not have afforded a new one, so it meets my needs nicely. I walk daily and collect my kindling. Dogs and a cat sleep in front of it.

Nice looking stove! I bought a plainer HII a couple years ago for $150 but sold it for $425 no problem. The soapstone stoves maintain their appeal better than "regular" non epa stoves. That's a fair enough price that they will probably get what they are asking or close. If you have the ability to MOVE IT when you see it, you can probably get a better deal. Cash and the ability to move a 500 lb stove out will get you far!

(In my case I figured out it wouldn't work with my fireplace setup and then got on here and hung around until all the EPA stuff rubbed off on me!~)

Rich L said:
Redburn said:

rich do you still have the stove? if so can you take a picture of the coal grate and post or email it to me.
thanks
frank

Status
Not open for further replies.